How do you listen to music?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by thinsafetypin » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:26 pm

Jake wrote:20% - NPR
seems like you'd have to listen to a LOT of NPR to get that much music out of it.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:06 pm

Tom4 wrote:
Can I live with you? That sounds like a sweet setup.
Climb aboard - there's room for everyone on the Shecky Express.

Seriously, it is a pretty sweet setup. I need a better keyboard, though; I have a Belkin right now with a lousy joystick-type mouse built into it. Something with a trackball or pad would be better.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Little Timmy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:49 am

MP3 (portable) 40%
CD's (home stereo, Walkman) 25%
Computer 25%
FM Radio (college statons) 10%

I'm a network support guy on call 24/7 and completely tethered to a cell phone, so I've got one of those MP3-player phones with a 1GB SanDisk. I envy my iPod-playing wife and son, but I don't want to have to deal with two devices all the time. I'm with Jake: I can't stand lossy compression. I prefer to rip to .wav, then use Windows Media Encoder to convert the .wav's to 384 kbps .wma's. Yes, I can tell the difference.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:48 pm

thinsafetypin wrote:seems like you'd have to listen to a LOT of NPR to get that much music out of it.
Oh were we just talking about music? If so then take NPR out of the equation.

Oh and I forgot about TV. Not including Idol, I watch an average of 30-60 minutes per week watching Subterranean on MTV2 and The Alternative on VH1 Classics.

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by infectiousdisease » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:34 pm

It depends where I am geographically.

Away at school:
CDs (including work, home stereo, and car) = 3%
MP3 (portable player) = 25%
MP3 (computer) = 70%
Internet radio = 2%

In the parent's basement:
CDs (including work, home stereo, and car) = 70%
MP3 (portable player) = 25%
MP3 (computer) = 5%

The reason for the difference is that I left the majority of my CD collection and the stereo/van I listen to them with back home. There's not enough room in the little box I've rented from the school for them and my papers are already threatening to take over. There are still a few discs kicking around though; I've got this battered old discman that I used to listen to new purchases. I am pretty convinced that it makes everything sound better. When it stops working, I'm definitely having a funeral.