The 2007 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Thread

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema »

I don't know how Patti Smith got in. "Goodbye To You" is a decent song but "The Warrior" is flippin' stupid. What's next Quarterflash?
worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede »

miss carol wrote: Egads, "rock" has jackshit to do with who gets inducted. Review the list again, my friend. Influence and endurance, I think, have more of a bearing. And while you're at it, take a look at the definition of "pop" : Van Halen will fit squarely in that definition.

Thank you, Jake. I completely agree, as did Hall of Famer and country (non-rock) artist, Johnny Cash.
Cash and Kristofferson are two different influences. Cash went beyond his genre and influenced rock while Kristofferson took a cue from Dylan and applied similar songwriting techniques to country. Then he teamed up with Wesley Snipes in "Blade."
Influence and endurance are very much a factor, so I'll give you Burt Bacharach because, like he said, that's what friends are for.
But as I look at the definition of pop, I sure don't see it in Women & Children First or Fair Warning.
I think Van Halen's original intent was to be the world's biggest rock and roll party band. Things got somewhat diluted during 1984 and then way murky during the Hagar years, but do those examples completely overshadow the band's original intent: to rock?
No one can convince me that Van Halen is a pop band.
And any guitarist will tell you that "fingertapping" is very much a rock thing.
Sven wrote:I don't know how Patti Smith got in. "Goodbye To You" is a decent song but "The Warrior" is flippin' stupid. What's next Quarterflash?
I'm going to need you to wash my jeans because you just made me pee them.
Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema »

worpswede wrote: I'm going to need you to wash my jeans because you just made me pee them.
Sometimes love just ain't enough.
DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

Eh, what are the rules again? You know that Big Star will probably eventually get in, as will Velvet Underground. Just as they give sympathy Oscars to folks who haven't ever won them during their career proper (even though they should have), they're gonna give "sympathy" HOF inductions, mark my words. And I'm not sure if I'd want my beloved Big Star in on those terms; I can see Alex Chilton being just ornery enough to say, "Fuck 'em, why'd I wanna go to Cleveland anyway?"

Bands/artists that ought to get in, but probably won't:
  • The Bar-Kays
    MC5
    Joe Jackson
    Graham Parker
    Johnny Thunders
    Marshall Crenshaw
    Carl Carlton
    Rick James
    Steve Earle
Ooops, that's more than five. Oh well... we could be at this one all night, if I put my mind to it.

And yes, loath as I am to admit it, a remote little corner of my soul agrees with Miss Carol that Burt Bacharach and Hal David ought to be in the R&RHOF. But so should Dewey Phillips. He should have been inducted the VERY FIRST YEAR, dammit!!
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

DJMurphy wrote: Bands/artists that ought to get in, but probably won't:
  • The Bar-Kays
    MC5
    Joe Jackson
    Graham Parker
    Johnny Thunders
    Marshall Crenshaw
    Carl Carlton
    Rick James
    Steve Earle
Good calls.
D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips »

I predict the bolded artists WILL be inducted:
Bands/artists that ought to get in, but probably won't:

The Bar-Kays
MC5
Joe Jackson
Graham Parker
Johnny Thunders
Marshall Crenshaw
Carl Carlton
Rick James
Steve Earle
DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

D. Phillips wrote:I predict the bolded artists WILL be inducted:
...not if they keep up their current strategy of 5 or 6 artists a year. There are too many artists that the HOF knuckleheads are just drooling to get in. I mean, Bon Jovi, Foghat, Poison and Warrant all still have to get in ahead of the bolded artists, now don't they!! And don't forget Debbie Gibson and Tiffany!!
trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by trainwreck2 »

DJMurphy wrote: ...not if they keep up their current strategy of 5 or 6 artists a year. There are too many artists that the HOF knuckleheads are just drooling to get in. I mean, Bon Jovi, Foghat, Poison and Warrant all still have to get in ahead of the bolded artists, now don't they!! And don't forget Debbie Gibson and Tiffany!!
I predict Bon Jovi will eventually get in, I mean Aeroshit made it right?
russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by russ »

worpswede wrote:
Aside from some rock acts that have covered Bacharach (Love, The White Stripes, The Beatles and a....that's about it, actually) his primary role has been in the world of pop, and with some very non-rocking acts, I might add.
Puhleeeze!
Bacharach should totally be in..His 1960's Dionne Warwick writing, producing and arranging alone should warrant it...but he's done so much more..Burt ROOLS!
BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by BloodshotBaby »

russ wrote:
Puhleeeze!
Bacharach should totally be in..His 1960's Dionne Warwick writing, producing and arranging alone should warrant it...but he's done so much more..Burt ROOLS!
i completely agree. pop and rock are not such separate genres.

and anyway...doesn't britney spears have outfits on display in the museum?

surely someone who has contributed tons to the pop culture is more worthy of that 'honor' than some pop princess.