The 2007 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Thread

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede »

BloodshotBaby wrote: pop and rock are not such separate genres.
I think they need to be when considering Hall inductees. If we don't, then we open the door for Pat Boone.
Wikipedia wrote: Pop music is a genre of popular music distinguished from classical or Art music and from folk music. The term indicates specific stylistic traits such as a danceable beat, simple melodies, and repetitive structure so that people can catch on and join in easily. To further expand its accessibility pop music often includes elements of rock, hip hop, reggae, dance, R&B, soul, and funk. The pop music genre often involves mass marketing and consumer-driven efforts by major record companies, which makes it an often scorned genre by other musicians.
BloodshotBaby wrote: and anyway...doesn't britney spears have outfits on display in the museum?
She does...and they are very tiny (but not as tiny as Christina's). So does Bobby Sherman. Point is: the exhibits are separate from the Hall inductees, which is what's being debated.
BloodshotBaby wrote: surely someone who has contributed tons to the pop culture is more worthy of that 'honor' than some pop princess.
Then Kiss is a shoe-in.
russ wrote: Bacharach should totally be in..His 1960's Dionne Warwick writing, producing and arranging alone should warrant it...but he's done so much more..Burt ROOLS!
Actually, his work with Warwick is exactly what I was referring to and a perfect example of non-rocking.
But let him in, and have fun visiting the hall with Grandma.
DJ Murphy, Burt Bacharach Fan Club President wrote: Johnny Thunders
My cousin pointed out The New York Dolls as Hall worthy, and I totally spaced them off. They absolutely should be in and, to quote the cuz: "most bands that are influenced by [The Dolls] don't even know it!"
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

From Merriam-Webster 11th ed:
1:popular <~music>: as a:of or relating to popular music <~singer> b: of or relating to the popular culture disseminated through the mass media.
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

wasn't nirvana popular at one? and the beatles too. so wouldn't that make them a part of pop music. especially the beatles. i agree that rock and pop should be separated if at all possible, but it's hard sometimes when both genres blur the lines. and they do. if we exclude pop music from being in the hall of fame then artists like r.e.m., nrivana, pearl jam, bruce sprinsteen, bob dylan, tom petty, prince, david bowie, paul simon, the rolling stones, and many others would not be inducted. you would end up with a short list of obscure inductees getting in.

let's not forget that many of the greatest acts around were pop acts. the mamas and the papas and the beach boys are two good examples. and i don't think anyone would say they don't belong in the hall of fame. neil young is another example. he's done everything from pop to rock to country. he had a lot of big pop nmubers, but we wouldn't say he shouldn't be in the hall of fame either.
Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal »

The Zombies should probably be inducted.

Marc Bolan / T-Rex
Last edited by Barabajagal on Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

I think we tend to split hairs on this pop-versus-rock discussion, equating bubblegum with pop. When you recall the history of bubblegum, it includes "bands" like 1910 Fruitgum Company and the Archies who were sessionmen assembled to make a record with pretty people hired to make appearances. Therefore, the Archies per se shouldn't be inducted, but PF Sloan should.

Disjointed I know, but I can't make my point much further right now.c
Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Lep »

BloodshotBaby wrote: pop and rock are not such separate genres.
worpswede wrote: I think they need to be when considering Hall inductees. If we don't, then we open the door for Pat Boone.
Excretory sphincter!
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

I like how in the UK, they call it all pop music with no disrespect whatsoever. I.e., pop vs. classical or jazz.

Still. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is all about celebrating the branch of popular music that arose in the mid-50s when alchemists like Elvis Presley and Chuck Berry started mixing up blues and country and making teenagers wanna dance, fuck, and fight.
DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

Jake wrote:I like how in the UK, they call it all pop music with no disrespect whatsoever. I.e., pop vs. classical or jazz.

Still. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is all about celebrating the branch of popular music that arose in the mid-50s when alchemists like Elvis Presley and Chuck Berry started mixing up blues and country and making teenagers wanna dance, fuck, and fight.
...and has since splintered into a thousand itty bitty pieces (we politely call them "sub-genres").
trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by trainwreck2 »

BloodshotBaby wrote:

and anyway...doesn't britney spears have outfits on display in the museum?
they gotta do something to ward off the rats
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

Brian Epstein. Has he been inducted? I pick him.

Hmm. How appropriate would it be to have photographers? Probably not very, despite the influence of style. Speaking of photography, style and design, where the hell is Chris "Dotman" G?