Al Sharpton Calls Imus Racist...Pot Calles Kettle Black

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:39 am

If Imus's employer wanted to fire Imus and was maybe looking for an excuse, I'm fine with that.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure Imus was trying to give the Rutgers team a compliment. Whatever the case, I'm positive he didn't mean the girls were "whores." He was trying to say they were "badass." This is the "extreme morning drive!!!" version of Joe Biden calling Obama "articulate:" a white guy too old to know better trying to show he's "down."

That is why this issue is so stupid.

Now, there are some things in life I simply was not meant to understand, and Al Sharpton is one of those.

Whither Don Rickles? I'm worried they'll go after him next.
Last edited by Barabajagal on Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:44 am

DJMurphy wrote: But at the same time, how many different flavors of "I'm sorry for the actions of my forefathers, for which I had nothing to do" need to be said until we can all just move FORWARD??
Words with out deeds........

I wouldn't tolerate the bigoted rants of an antisemite justbecause Isreal controls Jerusalem. And I wouldn't turn a deaf ear to the pronouncements of an American racist simply because of the Voting Rights Act.

If you think that Race in America is a settled issue, you're sadly mistaken.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:13 am

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:If you think that Race in America is a settled issue, you're sadly mistaken.
That's absolutely not what I'm saying; the fact that a numbskull like Imus could have continued to rant daily up to this point is proof enough that race in America is not a solved problem. But neither is it as bad as it was.

Nicolson
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by Nicolson » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:51 pm

Murphy - Sure, it's not as bad as it was, in the sense that slavery is actually against the law today, and the KKK can't usually get away with lynchings these days...but when you have the Sean Bell, Abner Louima, Amadou Diallo, and James Byrd cases all happening within the past 10 years, it's still pretty fucked up.

Not to mention Black poverty and unemployment, incarceration rates (one third of Black men in jail, on parole or on probation at any given time), de facto segregation in a majority of schools across the U.S., etc...

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:41 pm

Points taken; I'll concede your points without protest, Nicolson & Sugarcubes.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:42 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Points taken; I'll concede your points without protest, Nicolson & Sugarcubes.
The gentleman from Illinois concedes. Next order of business?

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Post by hebrew hammer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:35 pm

Jake wrote: Perhaps it has something to do with the idea that some groups have had a long history in America of government approved, legal, institutionalized subordination (i.e., slavery to lynching to Jim Crow to sentencing to school funding, etc.), and some groups...well, just haven't? Something to do with words that are used to keep a group down, compared to other groups that are not down?
This is probably right; we as American do feel guilty about our disgusting history, but if we won't make fun of people who are "Down," then why is it that Jews are so commonly punching bags, and often with much lighter reprecussions? (See: Mel "Adolf" Gibson) Not to compare racial histories, but I'm pretty sure the Holocaust is at least comprable to slavery and instituionalized racism. I recognize that Americans aren't guily about the Holocaust, but Jews have been unquestionably oppressed, yet anti-Semitism is more acceptable in American society.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:47 pm

hebrew hammer wrote:
This is probably right; we as American do feel guilty about our disgusting history, but if we won't make fun of people who are "Down," then why is it that Jews are so commonly punching bags, and often with much lighter reprecussions? (See: Mel "Adolf" Gibson) Not to compare racial histories, but I'm pretty sure the Holocaust is at least comprable to slavery and instituionalized racism. I recognize that Americans aren't guily about the Holocaust, but Jews have been unquestionably oppressed, yet anti-Semitism is more acceptable in American society.
Plus centuries of pogroms. Then there was ancient enslavement of the Jews. But that was a European thing...and you know they control the World Government and Hollywood.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:09 am

hebrew hammer wrote:Jews have been unquestionably oppressed, yet anti-Semitism is more acceptable in American society.
Well, you did crucify our Lord, after all.

KC32
GLONO Board Playa

Post by KC32 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:01 am

"I wouldn't tolerate the bigoted rants of an antisemite justbecause Isreal controls Jerusalem. And I wouldn't turn a deaf ear to the pronouncements of an American racist simply because of the Voting Rights Act."

That's why Sharpton and Jackson are relevant to the conversation. They've both said anti-Semitic things. They both called, very vocally, for Imus' job. Are people picketing their offices right now? Those Ice Cube songs I mentioned earlier bash Jews and Koreans. Are people boycotting Sony for releasing Ice Cube films? Slavery and Jim Crow are not an excuse for ignorance now. Were there a bunch of slave-owning Koreans I never read about in American history that needed to get their comeuppance from Cube? Now if you want to argue the effects slavery and Jim Crow had on black society that carry on to this day that's a whole other case where a lot of good points could be made.
Last edited by KC32 on Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.