Al Sharpton Calls Imus Racist...Pot Calles Kettle Black

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:35 am

KC32 wrote:Now if you want to argue the effects slavery and Jim Crow had on black society that carry on to this day that's a whole other case where a lot of good points could be made.
That's what I was trying to bring up by differentiating between groups that are systematically and institutionally kept down, and those who are not.

And another thing to consider when comparing Imus to Cube is that John McCain, John Kerry, Tim Russert, et al, did not appear as guests on Death Certificate. That is to say, Cube did not have the power/reach/authority/ear of the important decision makers that can actually affect policy...

Racial slurs coming from members of a group without power quite simply do not have as much of a real social impact as those coming from the group that is in power.

Had Imus dissed Jews, Koreans, or homos, I bet he would still be in big trouble. Although those groups don't have anyone as camera-friendly as Revs Jackson and Sharpton to motivate their posses.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:30 am

Jake wrote: Racial slurs coming from members of a group without power quite simply do not have as much of a real social impact as those coming from the group that is in power.
He seems to have been fired. No power, you say?

KC32
GLONO Board Playa

Post by KC32 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:50 am

I'd pose it's more dangerous for the message to be coming from someone that youngsters are more likely to be listening to. I seriously doubt that Imus had much of a young demographic, and that his listeners are probably set in their ways whether they be racist or not.

As for social impact, that's a value judgement. If you were a Korean storeowner in South Central L.A. after the riots you'd probably be a lot more worried about what Ice Cube said on a record about you. There had already been a history of violence between those two cultures there.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Post by hebrew hammer » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:25 pm

Jake wrote: Well, you did crucify our Lord, after all.
Touche.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:54 pm

KC32 wrote:If you were a Korean storeowner in South Central L.A. after the riots you'd probably be a lot more worried about what Ice Cube said on a record about you.
True dat.

I was living in the UK when Death Cert came out, and the version they released there contained neither "Black Korea" nor "No Vaseline." Which is a shame because "No Vaseline" is probably the greatest diss song of all time.

I actually talked to Jerry Heller (the "white Jew" manager of NWA) on the phone once when I was in college. I just called the number inside the Straight Outta Compton cd for Ruthless Records and Heller answered. I was shocked. I asked what was coming up...