Blind Man's Penis (Peace and Love)

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Blind Man's Penis (Peace and Love)

Post by hebrew hammer » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:35 pm

Occasionally people ask me what I think the best song ever written was. When I suggest "Blind Man's Penis," by Santa Rosa resident John Trubee, folks tend to scoff, coughing up one of those "B' bands instead. Then I have to explain that Trubee's tune has it all: bizarre lyrics about sex, aliens, and Stevie Wonder; slurred, echo-y vocals straight from an old-folks' home; and gorgeous, weeping steel guitar that makes everything else seem almost normal. Best of all, the version of "Blind Man's Penis" that became infamous -- played incessantly by KROQ DJs in the early '80s and on college radio ever since -- was recorded not by Trubee, but by a Nashville song-poem hack by the name of Ramsey Kearney, all for a measly $80.
I don't know how many of you know about this, but the other day I found this song, and it changed my life. Here's the MP3.

ViaChunklet

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:11 pm

The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.

KC32
GLONO Board Playa

Post by KC32 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:10 am

The great thing about the song is Trubee wrote it in about five minutes and sent it to the place in the ad he say never believing they would put it to music. Trubee is an odd cat. I used to have an old cassette tape of some of his prank phone calls. Of course he also released music with his band The Ugly Janitors Of America. Are there any MP3's of that stuff floating around?

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:41 am

KC32 wrote:The great thing about the song is Trubee wrote it in about five minutes and sent it to the place in the ad he say never believing they would put it to music. Trubee is an odd cat. I used to have an old cassette tape of some of his prank phone calls. Of course he also released music with his band The Ugly Janitors Of America. Are there any MP3's of that stuff floating around?
I think it was one of those "Are you a songwriter? We'll put your songs to music" kinds of ads that you'd see in the back of music magazines.
I never knew about his prank phone calls
But his cartoons from the early 90'sare something to behold.

KC32
GLONO Board Playa

Post by KC32 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:16 am

Indeed it was one of those ads. Yeah, he made a bunch of prank phone calls; mostly in the '70s when he was in his late teens I believe. You can tell by the TV and music references: Telly Savalas, Herbie Mann, Weather Report, Angie Dickinson, etc.. They're pretty weird stuff and I have to believe he was very high on something when he did them. Alternately funny and disturbing.

His art is interesting as well. At some point he must have been friendly with Matt Groening. I remember an old Re/Search magazine-book, the one on pranks, where he mentioned thinking that Groening was one of the few people that understood him. I think he also played on some Zoogz Rift records.

I first heard of him in a book called High Weirdness By Mail by Ivan Stang, the guy who did The Subgenius stuff. I was like 13 when that came out and there was a wealth of craziness in that sucker I never knew existed.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by creepy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:16 am

good to see someone else recognize the greatness of the hon. rev. stang...

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:45 pm

KC32 wrote:Indeed it was one of those ads. Yeah, he made a bunch of prank phone calls; mostly in the '70s when he was in his late teens I believe. You can tell by the TV and music references: Telly Savalas, Herbie Mann, Weather Report, Angie Dickinson, etc.. They're pretty weird stuff and I have to believe he was very high on something when he did them. Alternately funny and disturbing.

His art is interesting as well. At some point he must have been friendly with Matt Groening. I remember an old Re/Search magazine-book, the one on pranks, where he mentioned thinking that Groening was one of the few people that understood him. I think he also played on some Zoogz Rift records.

I first heard of him in a book called High Weirdness By Mail by Ivan Stang, the guy who did The Subgenius stuff. I was like 13 when that came out and there was a wealth of craziness in that sucker I never knew existed.
I'm going to have to look into some of those pranks; that sounds like it could be right up my alley. If you find a link or something to them, bump this thread and I'll do the same.
I always held Zoogz Rift as the artist that signaled the beginning of the end of SST Records. I just remember that they released a shitload of his albums at one time while all of their classic artists jumped ship to other labels.
I'm also going to have to look into that Stang book. Subgenius always intrigued me; there seemed to be a lot of stencil art vandalism around my old college town and when I tried to investigate more about the iconic J.R. "Bob" Dobbs, I was met with dead ends and sly references that I wasn't cool enough to be in on the joke.
Of course, these were the same people that listened to Psychic TV records and adored pictures of Genesis P-Orridge's pierced penis.

KC32
GLONO Board Playa

Post by KC32 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:25 pm

Here's something I found on Trubee. It appears you can pay to download a bunch of his stuff. The records themselves are probably harder to find. www.lostinthegrooves.com Look Trubee up in the artists list.

The Subgenius thing is very similar to The Discordians. A humorous take on religion and society. I think Stang's put out three Subgenius books now.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Post by hebrew hammer » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:08 pm

The Chunklet article has a couple links, including a solid interview with Mr. Trubee himself, and a pretty good history of the song-poem.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:28 am

creepy wrote:good to see someone else recognize the greatness of the hon. rev. stang...
Few people know he was the one that came up with 'Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke."

I am a certified Sub-G minister, btw. Eternal salvation or TRIPLE your money back!