The Ten Year Suck Rule

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 »

Radiohead!!!!!!!

Currently at 14 years of amazing music.

Elvis Costello (may not be as good as his earlier stuff, but he's still cranking out some kick-ass shit),

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by O! »

Elvis Costello! Can't believe I forgot him on my list. Ever heard his version of The Kinks' "Days" ? Even if he starts to suck, he makes the list because he's been good for way over ten years.

Radiohead on the other hand - what can I say? Maybe I need to listen to In Rainbows a lot more. I am just not so thrilled with it. I guess I won't go so far as to say it sucks, but it's getting the hallmarks. There are several really good songs, and several songs that I end up skipping.

The Kinks. Sonic Youth. These are worth pursuing. I've got some early stuff by both, but never fully explored Kinkland and stopped my Sonic Youth collecting with Goo.

Gonna half to get that TMBG Disney record. My 3 year old will love it!

BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by BloodshotBaby »

the who made it to ten years without sucking.

i think david bowie had a good 10 years as well. i won't try to defend the 80's...but i can't think of a particularly weak link between 1967 and 1977.

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Tim »

Definetely Radiohead, Wilco and maybe the White Stripes. Obviously these could be argued.

Wilco's 'A Ghost is Born' isn't something I listen to alot but I wouldn't give it the "suck" label. 'Sky blue Sky' is a fairly decent album too but I would agree somewhat that the suckness is starting to sneak in on the band.

I think all of the White Stripes albums are pretty solid, if you they qualify for the 10 year rule (didn't they start in the late '90s?)

I also agree with O on Sun Kil Moon. A great band that puts out consistent music.

I know U2 gets no love on this board, but they had a pretty good 13 years from 1980's 'Boy' to Zooropa in '93.

gdavis5446
GLONO Board Playa

Post by gdavis5446 »

Westerberg is still writing great gongs. I am not sure if he meets your criteria though.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

BloodshotBaby wrote:i think david bowie had a good 10 years as well. i won't try to defend the 80's...but i can't think of a particularly weak link between 1967 and 1977.
Nope. 1973:

Sucks.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

So are we saying that one misstep in a fertile creative period qualifies you as not passing the 10-year mark, because "Pinups" aside, and I think a couple of the songs on that album are good covers, I see what B squared is gettin' at there. Also, that would mean the Stones didn't make it out of the 60s, because I still say "Satanic Majasties Request" sucks hairy balls.
Last edited by jaimoe0 on Fri May 02, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josh B.
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Josh B. »

gdavis5446 wrote:Westerberg is still writing great gongs. I am not sure if he meets your criteria though.
Mono/Stereo have their slippery moments. Folker sucks.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

For those of you who have not heard it yet, "Folker" does not suck. Some of the songs have a kind of frustrating "unfinished" quality to them, but it's not a bad set of songs. Full disclosure: Westerberg apologist.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

jaimoe0 wrote:So are we saying that one misstep in a fertile creative period qualifies you as not passing the 10-year mark
That's how I'm judging it. Stones definitely do not start counting until Beggars Banquet, because before that, while they had great singles, their albums were spotty as hell. And they started going downhill right after Exile. So no. The Stones were great from 68 to 72 with heapings of suckiness before and after that period.

But that's just me. You're all free to define suckiness however you want..

Besides, it's more a benchmark than a rule. After a band has been around for 10 years, it's time to keep a close eye on them, because more often than not, they're going to start sucking.

White Stripes are just reaching that point. Their first album came out 1999. So...beware. That's all I'm saying. Just beware.