Digitize Me!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Digitize Me!

Post by creepy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:41 pm

So after holding off on doing it for forever, I've finally begun digitizing my collection. I bought myself a shiny new 500gig external hard drive and started at Add N to X. A couple of days later and I'm just finishing the 2nd disc of "Broken Social Scene". James Brown is on deck. I figure this is gonna take me 100+ hours total, but it's gonna be pretty damn cool to be able to hold my collection in one hand.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:20 pm

Amen man, once you get through the initial work, the upkeep is a breeze. You won't regret it.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:55 pm

Make sure you back shit up! My external HD just died and I hadn't had a chance to back it up yet. Don't know what it's gonna cost to extract the photos and word files. I'm not too worried about the music cuz I have most of the original CDs. Do it immediately. Don't put it off like I did.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by creepy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:52 pm

Yeah, I'm keeping my original cds, and I'll probably burn it all to dvd too... Also, I have a friend that is way OCD about cataloging and organizing data, so he'll get a copy too. Weird too, cuz he really doesn't really care about music other than it's something for him to file and index. (I'm trading my collection for 3 or 4 people's he's backed up. My collection is about to triple in size.)

BTW, was yr external drive usb powered or is there an AC adapter? I was all set to get a usb powered one, but I had a couple of people tell me that they're way more prone to crashing than one with a dedicated power source...

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by creepy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:11 pm

Update: I'm up to The Fall...

What's really got me worried is after I backup all my discs is I wanna organize all my "loose" mp3s. That's gonna make me tear my hair out I think.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:30 pm

creepy wrote:BTW, was yr external drive usb powered or is there an AC adapter? I was all set to get a usb powered one, but I had a couple of people tell me that they're way more prone to crashing than one with a dedicated power source...
It has a dedicated AC plug-in, and it connects to the computer through a USB port. I think what happened was it fell, and the arm that moves across its disc broke and won't read the disc. Might just be a mechanical repair. I'll find out next week.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:29 pm

creepy wrote:Update: I'm up to The Fall...
Don't forget how important it is to actually listen to everything you rip!

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by amighty » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:29 am

Jake wrote: Don't forget how important it is to actually listen to everything you rip!

NOT important - simply the having of it at your fingertips is the thing that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by LionIndex » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:35 am

I finally joined the 21st Century and got an iPod myself, so I'm going through the same process as Creepy, but I only got a 4G Nano, so I actually have to cull the herd a bit before putting stuff in. After owning the thing for about a month, I just completed my first pass through the collection, only putting the songs on that I really want to hear, which has left me with half a gig of space. I'm pretty much just using the thing as a radio, putting it on shuffle and listening to it at work all day. Because of that, I probably won't run into the "never played" problem, although the iPod's selections do seem a bit odd. I've got some songs that haven't come up in the shuffle yet, while songs I put in at the same time have been played 6 times.

I also joined the GloNo last.fm group. Hi everybody!

Donaldson
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Donaldson » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:39 am

amighty wrote:NOT important - simply the having of it at your fingertips is the thing that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.
A man with priorities so far out of whack doesn't deserve such a fine automobile...

...he never drives it, he just rubs it with a diaper...