Ten Years Ago

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by LionIndex »

Mixmaster Shecky wrote: Fuck you, 2009. You sucked.
Word.

New Year's Eve ten years ago I was sick, crashed out on the couch watching TV in the brief waking moments between fever naps.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal »

I was in a bunker surrounded by rolls of duct tape and cans of baked beans kneeling in a prayer circle, praying that Y2K would not be the end of us all.

Obviously, my prayers were answered. Hallelujah, and hey--you're welcome.

And we get to do that all over again in 2012!

Actually I am allergic to New Years celebrations so I have no fucking idea what I was doing.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by quasarwutwut »

That was actually a great, great NYE for me. Probably the last now that I think about it. sniff. My friends and I had just moved to Chicago, everything was new and exciting, and I had just had a couple dates with a really cute girl. She went to Scotland for the New Years and fell in love with some Scottish wanker. I had a large group of friends come in and we went to some ridiculously stupid "dance" club downtown that was oversold and we all got really lit and wound up at a house party where a gang member crashed it and threatened people. Later on I wound up in bed with a very attractive friend where things didn't work out in the long run, but it was an excellent way to finish off an uncharacteristically wild evening and ring in the New Year.

As opposed to last week, where my wife (the "really cute girl" from above story who eventually realized Scotsmen are silly), whom had to work New Year's Day, was in bed at 9, and I stayed up until 11:30 watching a movie, because I had to get up with the kids at 6am. I'm not sure what exactly, but something has changed between 1999 and 2009.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Post by sab »

In '99 I sat on the couch with my then-gf/now-wife and watched TV. The only New Year's Eve we have ever done that. (Except maybe the NYE when our daughter was three weeks old, but frankly, I can't remember what we did that night.) This year we went out to dinner.

And BTW, the decade doesn't really end until the end of this year.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

sab wrote:And BTW, the decade doesn't really end until the end of this year.
Cool, we've got another year to work on our "best of the 00s" then!

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

Jake wrote: Cool, we've got another year to work on our "best of the 00s" then!
Hey, maybe in Europe, Mr. Slacker. Here in the US of A the 00's are over because we say they are - so get cracking.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by creepy »

Nope, the 00's are over because it's 2010. 2000 to 2009= 10 years, or a decade if you will. The 80's ended in '89, the 90's in '99, etc...
The millennium may have officially started in 2001, but the decade of the aughts started Jan. 1, 2000.

If anyone else needs anything corrected I'll be out adding commas to the "Slow Children Playing" signs.

Also, it would behoove all of you to begin saying "twenty-ten", etc... instead of "two thousand and ten".

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips »

But what if the children playing are actually slow?

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Ten Year Ago

Post by Sugarcubes Forever »

Jake wrote: You were also at the party with the Christian stoners.
christians? who's party WAS that? Vague. My memory is vague. Like it was clouded by some kind of intoxicant.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: Ten Year Ago

Post by Jake »

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:christians? who's party WAS that? Vague. My memory is vague. Like it was clouded by some kind of intoxicant.
Hint: the dude who chastised me (and immediately thereafter smoked me down) was the husband of the owner of a certain coffee shop...who used to throw awwwwwwwwwwesome parties before she married into the wooden shoe set. (No offense to people in the Netherlands -- if you're still there, that means you're not one of the people who settled here.)