Summer Wind Swindle

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Summer Wind Swindle

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema »

I was flippin' and stopped at the locally produced ballroom dancing show on PBS tonight. The host is throwin' some bullshit around about "Summer Wind." Since this is quite possibly my favorite Sinatra song I stick around. ..only to be horrified by the unmistakable brutality of Michael Buble's voice. As if dancing to Michael Buble's version makes it hip or something. What a jip.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas »

A co-worker was surprised a few weeks ago when I hadn't heard of this "Michael Buble". But it's a good thing that I don't know him, right?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

He's this generation's Harry Connick, Jr. Two things going for him: 1) He brought Sharon Jones onto SNL for a duet, and 2) I think he looks like a clean Pete Doherty (or Ricky Martin...maybe if those two had a baby and named him "Harry Connick, Jr.").

Other than that SNL episode, I had never heard him. Seems harmless.

Smokin' Chronic Junior

Post by Smokin' Chronic Junior »

and Michael will be starring in a new remake of "The Boy in the Plastic Boo-Blay"

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas »

Jake wrote: I think he looks like a clean Pete Doherty .
You had to use your imagination on that, right?

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Greenwood The Sock Monkey »

Dude is harmless and mondo talented. Swing & big band isn't my bag, but Bublé seems to do his best to do it justice. And he's got the chops. I wouldn't hold his misfortune of being born after 1970 against him.

If you caught the closing ceremony of the Winter Olympics this weekend, that was him singing three kinds of hell out of <i>The Maple Leaf Forever</i>.

Note that after Bublé, the organizers decided to trot out a smorgasbord of the shittiest Canadian pop rock available. Imagine the low-budget Canadian version of Maroon 5 and Miley Cyrus, then start it all off with the actual Nickelback. So, sorry about that if you happened to be fighting insomnia last night and tuned in.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by quasarwutwut »

Greenwood The Sock Monkey wrote:Note that after Bublé, the organizers decided to trot out a smorgasbord of the shittiest Canadian pop rock available. Imagine the low-budget Canadian version of Maroon 5 and Miley Cyrus, then start it all off with the actual Nickelback. So, sorry about that if you happened to be fighting insomnia last night and tuned in.
I'm sorry. Did you just say Nickelback represented Canada at the Olympics? Because that's what it seems like you said. It seems like you suggested that Nickelback played the closing ceremonies. Of the Olympics. Is there a different Nickelback I'm not aware of? Maybe something with a jug and a fiddle? Because you said Nickelback.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas »

Greenwood The Sock Monkey wrote: If you caught the closing ceremony of the Winter Olympics this weekend, that was him singing three kinds of hell out of <i>The Maple Leaf Forever</i>.
Apparently that was lip-synched, but I suppose he still gets credit if he did the original singing without electronic assistance.

Mary Louise

Post by Mary Louise »

Michael Buble is amazing. I love his song "Summer Wind." I saw Michael on Oprah and he was incredible. Has anyone heard Kris Allen's song "Heartbreak Hotel"? It's amazing. I also like that song "Born To Run" by Enrique Iglesias.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Greenwood The Sock Monkey »

quasarwutwut wrote: I'm sorry. Did you just say Nickelback represented Canada at the Olympics? Because that's what it seems like you said. It seems like you suggested that Nickelback played the closing ceremonies. Of the Olympics. Is there a different Nickelback I'm not aware of? Maybe something with a jug and a fiddle? Because you said Nickelback.
Yes (sigh). It's true. I did apologize for it, and now I'll have to do it again. You'd think the organizers could have found someone else a little, ermm, fresher but apparently everyone else was already booked. I'm told Arcade Fire were busy playing a kid's birthday party in Chicoutimi and couldn't take the gig.