RIP Alex Chilton

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:33 am

Alright, I soften my "nobody cares" stance a little; I was in soul torment, and angry as hell. What you saw was pure blood-on-the-paper type writing, uncensored and unfiltered. Some people (the important ones) do care, I will concede.

The whole situation still sucks horribly.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:33 pm

DJMurphy wrote:]["Alex who.
I know what yer thinking. You feel like you have to kill Meatloaf to even the score. Don't even think about it. Think of your kids. Ya want them visiting you at the state pen for the rest of you life? Worse yet what if the bullets bounce off Meatloaf's head as is sometimes the case with grizzlies?. (Just ask Lita Zesterberg.) Then you will be mauled to death by Meatloaf and and after he eats your scalp and face your wife won't even be able to give you an open casket.

Maybe the fact that fewer people knew Alex Chilton is the lesser of two evils. I know Alex is more revered than Kurt Cobain among the reverse contrarian hipsters. But the day Kurt's death was confirmed baby boomers I worked with were stomping the hallways with glee at his demise. And when Johnny became my second beloved Ramone to die of cancer in a short stretch, my headbanger friend made some comment about "punkers being pussies" because Ozzy and Jimmy Page were still alive.
I don't know much about Chilton. But maybe he wouldn't have wanted every Coors Light sippin' Avatar watchin' drone to be upset with his death.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:00 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote: I don't know much about Chilton. But maybe he wouldn't have wanted every Coors Light sippin' Avatar watchin' drone to be upset with his death.
Bingo.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:30 pm

Tim wrote:I would just like to thank everyone here who always talked about his music and turned me on to him (Murph and the gang here). I had no idea who he was until I started visiting this website.
This makes me really happy and proud. There are a lot of times that this whole thing feels like a colossal waste of time, preaching to the choir, patting ourselves on the backs for being so fucking clever and cool, and it's really great to hear real life examples of people getting turned on to great music via GLONO.

I love Chilton's iconoclastic take on the Big Star legacy. "People say they're arguably some of the best rock and roll albums ever," he told Martin Aston in 1986. "I say they're wrong."

He was such a badass. Just imagine how weird it must feel to hit your commercial peak at 16. All downhill from there (sales-wise). I think that explains a lot of his contrarianism. He was clearly skeptical of adoration. But I've got to imagine that since 1992 when Ryko re-issued the albums, the subsequent "reunion" tours, etc., that he eventually came to realize how sincere and loyal Big Star fans are. Right?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:I don't know much about Chilton. But maybe he wouldn't have wanted every Coors Light sippin' Avatar watchin' drone to be upset with his death.
Hmm, so let me follow this logic through...

1) I wouldn't be this broken up if, say, Bruce Springsteen were to pass unexpectedly (no disrespect to Bruce).
2) Alex Chilton, for the amount of happiness that he brings to all of us who are mourning him, ought to be as financially rewarded as Bruce.
3) If Alex were to be as financially rewarded as Bruce, he would probably need to be as popular as Bruce.
4) If Alex were as popular as Bruce, there stands a chance that either a) I wouldn't necessarily like Alex's music as much as I do, or b) that due to the fact that Alex would have been as popular as Bruce, that Alex might have been tempted to make concessions with his music (discounting, purely for sake of argument, any of Mr. Chilton's particular personality traits which strongly suggest otherwise).

Alright, you Stankonian / Swedish wrestling magnate / bastard, you might have a point. You might actually be making sense. I might actually have to concede another point. Grrrrr...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:15 pm

Thought you guys might be interersted in this:
I'll be the guest of Rachel Lichtman on her show "The Crystal Telephone" tonight on www.luxuriamusic.com for a tribute to the amazing, life changing music of Alex Chilton. We'll be playing lots of Big Star, Box Tops, and beyond including a live performance of Alex's unheard in some 16 years. We welcome all of Alex's friends and fans to tune in, and join the live chat on the site. Show begins at 7PM (pacific) and will run for at least two hours (maybe more).

It is free to listen to, no sign-up is involved. Just go to www.luxuriamusic.com find the tab for LISTEN and pick a stream.

Please spread the word to any other like minded fans or friends of Alex's music.

Very best,

Andrew Sandoval

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:02 am

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:You feel like you have to kill Meatloaf
Bingo.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:33 pm

Here's a thought by which you might find solace, DJ Murph: Chilton is being eulogied for what he contributed creatively. No one is looking at his family and wondering what they get in the will. No drama queens are wrestling over his relics. No media conglomerate is re-issuing posthumous images of his last whatevers. There is no freakshow, no courtcase, no stink. No, Alex Chilton is being given the quiet and dignified respect that he earned and we mourn the collective loss of any other output from the true and rightful king of pop. Any one else with that title was merely a golden idol upon whom the hoards converge to tear their pound of flesh.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:24 pm

miss carol wrote:Here's a thought by which you might find solace, DJ Murph: Chilton is being eulogied for what he contributed creatively. No one is looking at his family and wondering what they get in the will. No drama queens are wrestling over his relics. No media conglomerate is re-issuing posthumous images of his last whatevers. There is no freakshow, no courtcase, no stink. No, Alex Chilton is being given the quiet and dignified respect that he earned and we mourn the collective loss of any other output from the true and rightful king of pop. Any one else with that title was merely a golden idol upon whom the hoards converge to tear their pound of flesh.
I guess you're right; in that sense, it could definitely be worse. But then again, either way you slice it, he is still no longer with us, and that still grieves me.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:23 pm

Beautiful day today! I think I'll bake some butterscotch roundies and dirt road my old lady on the bear skin rug.