Malcolm McLaren dead at 64

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Malcolm McLaren dead at 64

Post by jaimoe0 »

Certainly, he was a polarizing figure, but if he had done nothing more than bring exposure to the Sex Pistols, that would have been enough to merit mention on a music message board. And let's face it, he's a much more interesting Svengali than Simon Cowell.
jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas »

Certainly I thank the man for bringing me "Double Dutch".
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

I suppose if John Lydon, Annabella Lwin, and even David Johansen can all say nice things about him, then I should forgive him for destroying the New York Dolls.

I'm still waiting to hear Adam Ant's statement...

I tracked down Duck Rock on vinyl during my phase when I was collecting the sources of Paul's Boutique samples, and there's good stuff on it.
DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

Jake wrote:I'm still waiting to hear Adam Ant's statement...
What's poor Mr. Ant up to these days? Is he incarcerated? Homeless?
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

DJMurphy wrote:What's poor Mr. Ant up to these days? Is he incarcerated? Homeless?
I wondered that myself, so I lokoed him up. Seems busy. Good for him.
steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o »

An interesting fact I was unaware of, from Wikipedia:
McLaren approached the Red Hot Chili Peppers in 1985, early in their career, expressing interest in managing them, and reinventing the group. After hearing a short, live set, McLaren was "Clearly unimpressed" according to Chili Peppers frontman Anthony Kiedis. He then proposed to reinvent the group and have them play really stripped-down, basic punk rock, with all of the emphasis on Kiedis. Although Kiedis was flattered to be considered, he and the band rejected the offer. Kiedis recalled the event, saying "It was like the Wizard of Oz had spoken, and what he had said was too ludicrous to take seriously", as his proposition was too different from the band's musical style.
Hm, I guess he couldn't have made them suck any worse.
jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas »

steve-o wrote:An interesting fact I was unaware of, from Wikipedia:
McLaren approached the Red Hot Chili Peppers in 1985, early in their career, expressing interest in managing them, and reinventing the group. After hearing a short, live set, McLaren was "Clearly unimpressed" according to Chili Peppers frontman Anthony Kiedis. He then proposed to reinvent the group and have them play really stripped-down, basic punk rock, with all of the emphasis on Kiedis. Although Kiedis was flattered to be considered, he and the band rejected the offer. Kiedis recalled the event, saying "It was like the Wizard of Oz had spoken, and what he had said was too ludicrous to take seriously", as his proposition was too different from the band's musical style.
Hm, I guess he couldn't have made them suck any worse.
I agree that it would have been difficult, but pushing Kiedis even further up front might have done the trick.
creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by creepy »

Dude!
When I was 14, the only thing I knew for sure in life was that there would never be another album as awesome as"Mother's Milk".
Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

Stop the fucking presses-Roger Ebert weighs in on McLaren and it's awesome. At least, for what could have been: a Russ Meyer movie starring the Sex Pistols.
Meyer, dressed as frequently in military khaki slacks, an open-neck dress shirt, a blazer and sturdy penny loafers, sat next to McLaren on a black leather sofa and listened studiously to "No Future," "God Save the Queen (She Ain't No Human Being)," "Anarchy in the U.K.," "Pretty Vacant" and other songs. Occasionally he would nod his head attentively. When the album had played, he said, "So these records are big in England?"

"Fucking huge," said McLaren. He told us what sort of a film he had in mind. His ideas didn't involve a plot or a story line. As I recall, his only concern was that it star the Sex Pistols. Russ proposed "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" meets "A Hard Day's Night."
Jesus, I want to see that movie.
Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Tim »

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:Stop the fucking presses-Roger Ebert weighs in on McLaren and it's awesome. At least, for what could have been: a Russ Meyer movie starring the Sex Pistols.
Meyer, dressed as frequently in military khaki slacks, an open-neck dress shirt, a blazer and sturdy penny loafers, sat next to McLaren on a black leather sofa and listened studiously to "No Future," "God Save the Queen (She Ain't No Human Being)," "Anarchy in the U.K.," "Pretty Vacant" and other songs. Occasionally he would nod his head attentively. When the album had played, he said, "So these records are big in England?"

"Fucking huge," said McLaren. He told us what sort of a film he had in mind. His ideas didn't involve a plot or a story line. As I recall, his only concern was that it star the Sex Pistols. Russ proposed "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" meets "A Hard Day's Night."
Jesus, I want to see that movie.
Thanks for posting that. That was a great article!

Imagine the possibilities if they had pulled that off. A cult classic indeed!