Watch Supertramp play Dreamer, live in 1974

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Watch Supertramp play Dreamer, live in 1974

Post by Jake » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:19 am

Video: Supertramp - "Dreamer" (Old Grey Whistle Test)

<embed src="http://www.livevideo.com/flvplayer/embe ... utoStart=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" WIDTH="445" HEIGHT="369" wmode="transparent"></embed>

Reminds me of being a kid.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by quasarwutwut » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:10 pm

those dudes can sing. sing really high, but still sing.

I once had a music class with the drummer's son. He was kind of a dick. Not a good story, but a true one.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:49 pm

I'm on a minor Supertramp kick. Downloaded Breakfast in America, with all its Wurlitzer electric piano glory, which totally transports me back to being a kid, playing with Matchbox cars and Legos on the dark green living room carpet, my mom smoking in the kitchen, sunlight coming through the gold currents in haze, records playing on the octagonal hi-fi. That pretty much sums up a big part of my childhood right there.

RosieD

Post by RosieD » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 am

quasarwutwut wrote:those dudes can sing. sing really high, but still sing.
Those dudes can STILL really sing. At least, Roger Hodgson -- former lead singer & songwriter for Supertramp -- can. In fact, his voice is better than ever. He's currently on a very successful world tour. If you have the chance, go see him perform live -- you won't regret it! Check out his website -- www.RogerHodgson.com -- for tour details.

btw... sorry to hear the drummer's son wasn't such a cool guy. maybe he grew out of it. :/

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:37 pm

Every once in a while, there's a bit of weird syncronicity between you and I. This is one of them. I've totally be flirting with dipping into the Supertramp catalog after that Squeeze review, and this post may be the one that pushes me to re-examine them.
I know that it was <i>Brother Where You Bound</i> that totally turned me off. It was their first without Hodgson and the one where they tried to recruit David Gilmour into the line-up. He said "No" and the album perfectly makes it clear why he declined.
I guess that means I should start with <i>Breakfast</i> or <i>Crime Of The Century</i>.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Breakfast has a lot of well-crafted songs on it, but a few that don't really stick with me. But for me, it's worth owning just for "Logical Song" and the full album-length "Take The Long Way Home". I first bought this CD, and was truly bummed that it had edited versions of "Logical Song", "Take The Long Way Home", and "Goodbye Stranger".

"Logical Song" is just about as perfect of a song as guilty pleasures from the '70s ever get. "Take The Long Way Home" ain't too shabby, either. This album is great on LP.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Post by sab » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:19 pm

I rediscovered Supertramp when some dude rocking some homebuilt speakers at a hifi convention played some on a megabucks turntable. The sound blew my mind in a way that's not supposed to happen without chemicals. Not only did those guys rock, but they knew how to record their music to make it sound good too.

MEJ

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:16 am

Dreamer is one of my favorite Roger Hodgson (Supertramp) songs. The audio on this video is a bit rough on my ears and there's nothing like a live performance.

There’s a great newsletter about Roger’s tour I want to share with everyone reading this Forum.

I’m a big fan of his, I love his work and I’m really excited about his tour this year - I’m going to see him at the July 10 Ottawa Blues Festival, in Canada. Anyways, just thought I’d pass it on. Enjoy.

Go to eon.businesswire.com and search for Roger Hodgson’s World Tour Newsletter

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:24 am

Roger's got the voice and the songs. They are the most memorable of all the Supertramp hits. The old recordings are fun to listen to and yet there is something about listening to the fresh new sound that Roger is putting into the songs now that he is playing them live on his world tour. They have an energy that is far beyond the sound. Can't quite put my finger on it but to say the least I am moved from the inside out. There are some great Youtube videos out there and links to some great performances on Roger's website.