Rick K. and The Allnighters

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Rick K. and The Allnighters

Post by quasarwutwut » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:44 pm

Apparently this is going around the Intertubes, but I just saw it for the first time. You may be tempted to dismiss this as a joke due to their wardrobe and/or the State Fair-ish setting, but if you give it a chance you just might feel the magic.

<embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

If you enjoy that I highly suggest you watch their version of "Sharp Dressed Man". I hope they get some sort of recognition out of all this, because that drummer is a maniac and deserves to get paid.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:45 pm

For the first several seconds I just thought it was silly and I was going to make a snide comment about taking a signature drum beat in a whole different direction...but then for the next couple of minutes I was mesmerized by the mugging and interplay between the two drummers...and finally for the last minute and a half I was just amused, amazed, and ultimately impressed. Taking dorkiness to a whole new level.

Glad I made it through the whole thing.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:47 pm

Where marching band drummers go to die...

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Lep » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:29 am

The kit looks like a creepy Pixar character - the kicks look like big eyes with crossed pupils. The martyred member of the group who's been driven loopy by being beaten on by two dudes at every show.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:24 pm

Lep wrote:The kit looks like a creepy Pixar character - the kicks look like big eyes with crossed pupils. The martyred member of the group who's been driven loopy by being beaten on by two dudes at every show.
That was great fun. But if the drum kit is a martyr, the guitarist having to play that line over and over and over and over is right up there too.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by quasarwutwut » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:20 pm

Update: the drummer's going to be just fine. Apparently a different YouTube posting from that same show entitled this drummer is at the wrong gig logged over 1 million hits within the first week of being on there, and now he has a website that looks like this:

http://www.maddrummerinc.com/

So yeah, the proverbial foot is in the door.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:22 pm

You guys get all the best bands at state fairs. We Cheese Doodle and the Orange Fingers covering Whitney Houston.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:13 pm

OK, I think this is an appropriate time to jack a little joke I read recently on Carrie Brownstein's blog, Monitor Mix
A guy goes on vacation to a tropical island. As soon as he gets off the plane, he hears drums. From that moment on, everywhere he goes, he continues to hear the drumming: He goes to the beach, he hears drums; he eats lunch, he hears drums; he goes on a hike, he hears drums. When he tries to go to sleep, he hears drums.

This goes on for several nights, and it gets to the point where the guy can't sleep at night because of the drums. Finally, he goes down to his hotel's front desk.

When he gets there, he asks the manager, "Hey! What's with these drums? Don't they ever stop?"

The manager says, "No, the drums must never stop; something very bad will happen if they do."

"What?"

"Bass solo."

Zing!

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by quasarwutwut » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:36 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:"Bass solo."
Zing!
Hah! It's funny because it's true.

Worst bass solo I've personally witnessed in concert: Michael Anthony of the Van Halens, circa 1989-90. Jebus Kristos. That thing went on for 5 minutes, and I'm not sure he actually played any real bass notes at any given point. Just a lot of banging on it, making noise, and drinking whiskey. Sort of like being a little kid and watching a gorilla at the zoo masturbating. You don't want to watch, but your older brother and his friends brought you, and they think it's hilarious.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:15 am

I don't know what's scarier: the thought of a bass solo from Michael Anthony Van Halen, or the fact that J-Frank has been to a Van Hagar concert and admits it! ;-)

I've heard that same "bass solo" joke before, except the variation I heard involved three scientists captured by native tribesmen who ostensibly want to eat them, but never get around to it because of the constant, nasty drum playing. The scientists ask the tribal chief to please tell the drummer to stop, the chief darkly smiles and says, "You don't want the drums to stop." Second time, chief says same thing. Third time, after the chief says same thing, one of the scientists finally thinks to ask why. Chief intones, "Next up: bass solo!"