Worst band ever!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Bob

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:41 am

The only thing really wrong with the Steve Miller Band is massive AOR overplay. The first album in particular is really pretty good white r&b.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Post by sab » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:01 pm

I think someone made a typo in the subject. Because this thread has mostly been about good bands: The Eagles, Steve Miller, RHCP, Aeromsith, etc. I even like ICP for their amusement factor.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Re: Schmeagles

Post by Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:36 pm

R. Burton wrote:He’s also the biggest Wilco hater I know. He claims that their honky/fratboy appeal and lack of soul (his words, not mine) puts them in the same camp as Hootie and the Blowfish. I always stand up for “Being There” and “Summer Teeth,” but I didn’t like YHF nearly as much. (I know I’m in the minority here with that one.)
Holee christ, there's honkys and/or fratboys that listen to Wilco? Really? Without being under duress? I have been to eight Wilco gigs and they are pretty much the musical equivalent of ComicCon. Like a jamboree for music nerds and guys with thick-rimmed glasses, the sort of people that would get the shit kicked out of them by a forty-year-old librarian.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Re: Schmeagles

Post by steve-o » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:44 am

R. Burton wrote:This has started me thinking about all the “they suck” comments I’ve made over the years, and how many times I had to take it back. Captain Beefheart comes to mind. As does Bob Seger. Although now I’m starting to rethink that one again. I mean, just because “2 plus 2” rocks balls, and Mainstreet makes me feel all melancholy, is that really enough for me to forgive “Like A Rock?”
Totally in agreement with that, I have eaten my words plenty of times when after bitching and complaining about a band and then eventually realizing I actually really liked them.

It wasn't cool to like Depeche Mode or the Cure when I was in high school, so I didn't. Which was kind of dumb, because I spent a lot of time making fun of two pretty awesome bands.

Currently I'm slowly warming up to Journey. In a few years, I'll probably be having this exact same conversation we're having about the Eagles: "Yeah, I know its sappy FM crap, but c'mon, you can't deny that 'Don't Stop Believin'" is a great song!"

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:24 pm

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:21 pm

Eagles: I don't hate them. I think that despite their at-times tepid music, they did create some music that endures. "Pretty Maids All In A Row" is a classic; as is "In The City". And yes, I have a strong pro-Joe Walsh bias. The rest is bland and generic, but not really hate-worthy.

Steve Miller Band: Ugh. These guys, like Frampton, are just sort of "eh" in my book. Shove them down my throat, and I hate them with the intensity of a thousand suns. But the same rule, weirdly, does not apply to some other groups. Weird.

RHCP: Like some stuff, could care less about other stuff. Kiedis's vocal style is nasty, like 2-year old jockstraps imprisoned in a gym locker.

Hootie and the Blow-Chunks, Spin Doctors, Blind Melon, Nickelback, Third Eye Blind, Matchbox 20, Train, 4 Non Blondes, Linkin Park: Worthless. Bin them all. Punish them for inflicting their vanilla shit onto the masses.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:38 pm

Jake wrote:You guys see the movie based on this thread?
LOL. It sounds so much funnier with an English accent. Perhaps from now on I'll read all Glono posts as though spoken by Hugh Grant or Emma Thompson.
DJMurphy wrote: Hootie and the Blow-Chunks, Spin Doctors, Blind Melon, Nickelback, Third Eye Blind, Matchbox 20, Train, 4 Non Blondes, Linkin Park: Worthless. Bin them all. Punish them for inflicting their vanilla shit onto the masses.
All right, small confession here: I've never heard a Nickelback song. If that sounds implausible, bear in mind that I'd never heard Lady Gaga until a month ago, when a disbelieving co-worker send me a YouTube link to "Poker Face". I buy a lot of CDs and listen to local college radio, so there's nowhere for me to intersect with this stuff.

So, um: what's Nickelback's big hit anyway?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:04 pm

jonas wrote:
All right, small confession here: I've never heard a Nickelback song. If that sounds implausible, bear in mind that I'd never heard Lady Gaga until a month ago, when a disbelieving co-worker send me a YouTube link to "Poker Face". I buy a lot of CDs and listen to local college radio, so there's nowhere for me to intersect with this stuff.

So, um: what's Nickelback's big hit anyway?
Same with me: YouTube poisoned by brain with some Guh Guh drivel which I've since forgotten. The video involved a subway train, though.

Nickleback's big single? "Shoot Me (In the Face)"

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:01 pm

My 3-yr-old kid turned me onto Lady Gaga via his nanny (she did not stick to the "Papa approved" playlist). "Bad Romance" is a 100% great song, straight up, no irony or sarcasm. It's just good.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Jake wrote:My 3-yr-old kid turned me onto Lady Gaga via his nanny (she did not stick to the "Papa approved" playlist). "Bad Romance" is a 100% great song, straight up, no irony or sarcasm. It's just good.
Fine, I'll try it again. You're the third person who's insisted I give her a chance. Bear in mind, I hate Madonna and ABBA, so no guarantees.