Worst band ever!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:23 pm

If you hate Abba, there's no hope for you. Who hates Abba?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:41 pm

Jake wrote:If you hate Abba, there's no hope for you. Who hates Abba?
Yeah, so I tried and now I dislike Lady Gaga now too.

The only good memory I have of ABBA is at a book event where my lovely gay friend and I danced our drunk asses off. Otherwise, not so much. Madonna just makes me hostile.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:21 pm

If you don't like Madonna-there's no way you'll like Gaga. I think she's awesome. Plus it's the only way I can use code words around the kids without them knowing that I'm talking about sex. Example: "We should put the kids to bed early so that you can ride on my disco stick." Even if you hate Lady Gaga, feel free to use the code words.
I think I've told this here before, but there was a time when I positively hated Abba. When Abba Gold was released, we received a copy at the radio station I was at. The music format of that station was of such that the Abba disc would never get played, so I took it home to remind myself how much I hate that band.
I never brought it back.
I'd never owned an Abba album, it had been years since I had heard one of their songs, and I had voiced my hatred for them. Yet I knew the words to nearly every song on that disc. Even with my attempts at avoiding them, the sweetness had somehow entered by hard rock vaneer and remained.
If you listen closely to their chord progressions, you'll notice nearly no element of blues in their music. That's highly unusual-Abba is perhaps the whitest band of all time and their musical lineage begins in Europe. Most pop songs have at least one foot in the blues, C&W, etc.
I just saw a documentary on them a week ago. Good stuff.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:56 pm

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:50 pm

Jake wrote:Image
Just because Lester liked ABBA doesn't mean I have to. And that's part of why I hate them: people keep telling me I HAVE to like them. Why? Is there a law? I'm certainly not going to like them to be "hip" or "ironic'; indeed, I'm willing to bet all those folks who say they like ABBA really can't stand them. If you like ABBA then why don't you like other pop? Isn't it cheesy enough for you? I adore Tom Jones (who I saw live and would do so again), Dusty Springfield, and shitload of sixties bubblegum. In fact, I paid money to own the records. Not out of some need for street cred, but out of legitimate admiration for the music. But I honestly don't like ABBA, and will gladly suffer the slings and arrows of outraged hipsters.

So there.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:12 pm

miss carol wrote: Same with me: YouTube poisoned by brain with some Guh Guh drivel which I've since forgotten. The video involved a subway train, though.
My co-worker also sent me a link to Lady Gaga in some kind of freaky latex suit doing some crazy-ass dancing. It didn't move me.
miss carol wrote: Nickleback's big single? "Shoot Me (In the Face)"
Heh, you got me there...I went look for this, being unaware it was some kind of internet lingo. You crazy kids! When I didn't find it, I tried some other Nickelback songs. To be honest they seemed incredibly blah, so I don't get the hate...but maybe if I had to listen to them incessantly I'd feel an urge to hurt them (or myself).
miss carol wrote: But I honestly don't like ABBA, and will gladly suffer the slings and arrows of outraged hipsters.
So there.
Well, calling them hipsters for liking isn't necessarily any better than them castigating you for hating it. You might as well invoke the big insult and accuse them of being Pitchforkian.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:27 pm

Now that I think about it, I think I could make an argument for The Killers, who I don't think have an original note in their body of work. Some of those singles were catchy, sure, but Brandon Flowers talks like they are the second coming of the Beatles, and they aren't even the second coming of Herman's Hermits. I think it's Flowers' arrogance more than the band's regurgitation of a variety of styles that offends me so.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:53 am

Jonas, I purposefully didn't watch the video. I listened while I played solitaire or something so I could judge the music not the image. And I still wasn't moved; rather I was bored.

As for the "hipster" comment, I suppose it comes from the school of "it's so bad/cheesy it's good," which I've never cared for. I don't think I'm hip or cool or particularly with it. I like what I like and often hear about it. Ironically, many people who berate my abhorrence of ABBA have never heard of Pitchfork, which is neither here nor there, but likely speaks to an age group. Anyway, there you have it.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:13 am

I'm with you, Miss C. Abba just depresses me, like Barry Manilow.

It's not even that I don't like or dislike their music, there's something about their songs that just makes me feel like offing myself.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:36 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:It's not even that I don't like or dislike their music, there's something about their songs that just makes me feel like offing myself.
Oh my god, that made me laugh! I'm sorry if it's inappropriate, but that was funny. Thanks! I absolutely needed that today.