Foxy Shazam

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Foxy Shazam

Post by quasarwutwut » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:27 am

So my little brother just turned me on to these guys, because if Glono doesn't report on it, then I don't know about it. But I'm not sure how I feel about this, and I'm counting on you guys to let me know whether I should like this Foxy Shazam or not. They appear to be a cross between "Queen" and "Mr. Bungle", which is a concept I enjoy on paper, but I can't tell if they're legit or just over-the-top to be over-the-top. According to the comment boards on YouTube (an always-reliable source of information) the singer is "really crazy" and "a legitimate artist", but I spent 20 minutes YouTubing them and can't find a song I want to listen to again. Clearly they're a force to be reckoned with live (and apparently were at this year's Lolla), but so is Slipknot, and they make up approximately 0.0% of my record collection.

<embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed>

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:54 pm

Let me preface this by saying that I rarely watch videos anymore; they make me hate the band. When I look something up on YouTube, I generally listen rather than watch. Sadly, had I listened to this, I would have lasted a couple of seconds finding it derivative, or at the very least a Queen outtake that gladly hadn't found its way to vinyl.

But I did watch the video and found it an amalgam of eighties culture including Queen, rock videos, exercise shows, crappy SNL shorts, and many "mockumentaries" in general. There didn't seem anything original and I can imagine the story meeting sounding something like this: "Dude, wouldn't it be cool to have like this rock dude like pluking his guitar with like his teeth?" "Yeah, that would awesome." "And like the mic could be, I dunno, like this random ice cream cone."

Clearly, I'm too old for this minute-long YouTube zeitgeist; however, I expect after watching it once, so too are most people.

Now get off my lawn.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by quasarwutwut » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:57 pm

So you're saying this is changing your world just like Fallout Boy changed your world? Because that's how I'm feeling about this.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:05 pm

Haven't watched it yet, but I am opposed to them on the basis of an aggressively stupid name.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:56 am

QWW wrote:So you're saying this is changing your world just like Fallout Boy changed your world? Because that's how I'm feeling about this.
Why yes, QWW, yes, I am. Um Falloutwho??
jaimoe0 wrote:Haven't watched it yet, but I am opposed to them on the basis of an aggressively stupid name.
Seems like a good reason to me.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:32 am

I like that he seems to care about his kid.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by quasarwutwut » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:08 am

jaimoe0 wrote:Haven't watched it yet, but I am opposed to them on the basis of an aggressively stupid name.
Totally! I'm with you on that. I hate stupid.... aw shit.

- Guy in band called 'Quasar Wut-Wut'
who "upgraded" their name from 'Grin'
who "upgraded" that name from 'The Enlightenments'
who "upgraded" that name from 'Captain Spaulding'

worst. band names. ever.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:14 am

I'm afraid I've grown to love the name Quasar Wut Wut. It sounds like a Python sketch, and that's a fine thing. Foxy Shazam sounds like it could have been anything, like Vibrating Portfolio or Twinkly Dividend.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:14 pm

You should definitely like them. Of course, I'm apparently easy to please when it comes to internet flavors-of-the-month (see Die Antwoord).