Is there a show you didn't really appreciate at the time...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Is there a show you didn't really appreciate at the time...

Post by jonas » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:43 pm

...but wish you could go back and see?

I saw the Talking Heads on their Remain in Light tour, and sure I enjoyed it, but I sorta thought concerts were always that good and I was kind of blase about it. And it had Bernie Worrell and Adrian Belew! I just saw a video of it on YouTube, and thought "man I wish I'd been there!" And then realized I more or less was.

I remember very little of it, other than Adrian Belew facing up to the speakers and making some awesome feedback.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:41 pm

The Rolling Stones on the Steel Wheels tour. It's the only time I've seen them, and I was too blitzed to have any sort of detailed memory of the show.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Is there a show you didn't really appreciate at the time

Post by Lep » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:48 am

jonas wrote:...but wish you could go back and see?

I saw the Talking Heads on their Remain in Light tour, and sure I enjoyed it, but I sorta thought concerts were always that good and I was kind of blase about it. And it had Bernie Worrell and Adrian Belew! I just saw a video of it on YouTube, and thought "man I wish I'd been there!" And then realized I more or less was.

I remember very little of it, other than Adrian Belew facing up to the speakers and making some awesome feedback.

Except for Adrian Belew...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:12 am

Oh tons... Pretty much every show I saw before I turned 30 I'l like to go back and see again.

My older cousin dragged me along to see Stevie Ray Vaughn on the Live Alive tour when I was 15. I'm sure I'd appreciate that more now.

Steel Wheels tour is another one. I only knew Hot Rocks (volume 1!) at the time. I remember my pal Lazy T was into Exile but I was snottily convinced the Stones were a 60s singles band, ha ha. Oops.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:28 am

I wish I could go back and see (as an adult) all the concerts my mother brought me to as a child: Niel Diamond, John Denver, Dolly Pardon, Kenny Rogers, Barbara Mandrell, Khris Kristopherson, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, etc. etc. etc.

Back in the 70s when my parents were in their 20s they really loved classic rock and country music. They dragged me to concerts, most of which I thought were fun, but I didn't really "get it."

I think we saw Johnny Cash once too, but I was way too young to have any memories of it.

For the first few years of my life we lived in Europe while my dad was in the military. I know he saw The Beatles live in London. Wish I could have been there! But I think I was a zygote at that time.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Post by sab » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:16 am

Jake wrote:Oh tons... Pretty much every show I saw before I turned 30 I'l like to go back and see again.

My older cousin dragged me along to see Stevie Ray Vaughn on the Live Alive tour when I was 15. I'm sure I'd appreciate that more now.

Steel Wheels tour is another one. I only knew Hot Rocks (volume 1!) at the time. I remember my pal Lazy T was into Exile but I was snottily convinced the Stones were a 60s singles band, ha ha. Oops.
It's funny that we all went to this show together. I didn't realize that you were as ignorant of the Stones catalog at this time as I was of the Beatles.

The Steel Wheels show was pretty great, but I wonder whether we'd find it particularly compelling today. The sound at the Silverdome sucked ass, remember. I only recall listening to Flashpoint once or twice (the live album from that era) and it wasn't so good.

Set List from Steel Wheels:
1. "Intro: Continental Drift"
2. "Start Me Up"
3. "Bitch"
4. "Shattered"
5. "Sad Sad Sad"
6. "Undercover of the Night"
7. "Harlem Shuffle" (Relf/Nelson)
8. "Tumbling Dice"
9. "Miss You"
10. "Ruby Tuesday"
11. "Play With Fire" (Nanker Phelge)
12. "Dead Flowers"
13. "One Hit (to the Body)" (Jagger/Richards/Wood)
14. "Mixed Emotions"
15. "Honky Tonk Women"
16. "Rock and a Hard Place"
17. "Midnight Rambler"
18. "You Can't Always Get What You Want"
19. "Little Red Rooster" (Dixon)
20. "Before They Make Me Run"
21. "Happy"
22. "Paint It Black"
23. "2000 Light Years from Home"
24. "Sympathy for the Devil"
25. "Gimme Shelter"
26. "It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)"
27. "Brown Sugar"
28. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
29. "Jumpin' Jack Flash" (encore)

sab
GLONO Team Member

Post by sab » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:49 am

I don't really have much desire to revisit the past. I've been to so many shows over the past 25 years I can't count or remember them all.

That said, there is one show that I really wish I could have appreciated at the time, and that's the only Grateful Dead show I went to, on 6/20/91. As a touch-head whose familiarity with the GD canon was limited to In The Dark and Skeletons From The Closet, I just didn't get it. 20 years later, I do, and I've listened to that show plenty of times and it was a great show. It's actually been commercially released on the Digital Download Series. And while the show will never be cited among the legendary Dead shows, like Barton Hall or Winterland 73 or something like that, that it has achieved such minor recognition makes me wish I could have been more in the moment when I was there. But who really gets it at their first Dead show anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_D ... _Volume_11

Bob

Post by Bob » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:51 am

I saw Live Aid in Philly and (thought) I hated the Beach Boys at the time. I barely paid any attention to their set that included Carl, Al, Mike, Bruce and even Brian. I also saw, and loved, the Ramones in a tiny club around the same time. As much as I dug them then, I would kill to see the Dee Dee version of the Ramones now. My appreciation for their genius has only grown every passing year.

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Tim » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:47 pm

Rolling Stones/Steel Wheels is a definite show I would love to see again. I caught them in Dallas when I was 16. My parents bought me tickets and my sister (in her 20s then) bought me a plane ticket and I flew out there for the weekend. It was probably the greatest birthday present I ever received. Mainly because all her hot girlfriends went along. We sipped on Keystone Lite all the way to the show and I thought I hit the lottery going to a Rolling Stones show with hot 20-somethins. I too only was into 'Hot Rocks' and thought I knew all ever wanted about the Stones from that. Of course the show changed my mind and forced me to dig deeper and the rest is history. It would be nice to see that one again

Another show - I caught Johnny Cash at a music festival in the early '90s when I was in college. I drove up to Birmingham, Alabama. My friends and I drank "shroom tea" on the way and pretty much tripped our balls off all day long. We saw a bunch of bands that day - which I don't remember.

Later on, we went to see Johnny. I was not a fan of Johnny Cash (nor country music) at the time. When Johnny hit the stage I was completely out of my mind. It was a great show and it changed my mind on country music and Johnny too - as I became an instant fan. Too bad I have no recollection of it and what he played - I just know he was awesome and wore black and I was hypnotized (tripping delusional). I'd love to go back and see that one again...this time sober.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:44 pm

Tim wrote:Rolling Stones/Steel Wheels is a definite show I would love to see again. I caught them in Dallas when I was 16. My parents bought me tickets and my sister (in her 20s then) bought me a plane ticket and I flew out there for the weekend. It was probably the greatest birthday present I ever received. Mainly because all her hot girlfriends went along. We sipped on Keystone Lite all the way to the show and I thought I hit the lottery going to a Rolling Stones show with hot 20-somethins. I too only was into 'Hot Rocks' and thought I knew all ever wanted about the Stones from that. Of course the show changed my mind and forced me to dig deeper and the rest is history. It would be nice to see that one again .
Ha, I may have been at the same show as another Glonoid! I was about to say I had been, but I looked it up and there were two shows at the Cotton Bowl. The funny thing is that my appreciation for them has gone down since then, not up, so this isn't one I wanted to relive. I may have been spoiled by the Tattoo You show, also at the Cotton Bowl, in which it blew like a fucking hurricane and we were in the upper deck getting rain blown in our faces and screaming along with the songs. The Fabulous T-Birds and ZZ Top weren't bad either.