Glorious Noise - Rock and roll can change your life.
Est. 2001
Rock and roll can change your life.

Billy Corgan's Incredible FacePage

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Billy Corgan's Incredible FacePage

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:07 am

Why we're probably all familiar with Billy Corgan's awesome Twitter feed, did you know that only about a week ago he opened up an official Facebook profile?

Being who he his, Corgan has wasted no time throwing off the confines of Twitter's tiny format, and expanding his social networking to dizzying volumes. Yesterday he took to Facebook to directly answer Fan questions.... Not the haters, imposters or posers...but the REAL FANS!

Here is ONE DAY (12/6/20100 in the Facebook life of the Great Grunge Sage!

December 6, 2010 7:28 PM
as i said...YOU are just proving my point :) God Bless

December 6, 2010 7:25 PM
ok, so that's enough for tonight...i appreciate those of you who took the time to write in thoughtful questions. looking forward to the show here in New Mexico tomorrow. look for me antiquing! love, BC

December 6, 2010 7:23 PM
so just so you know, to let you in on the secret, half of what i do is meant to throw people off. including the old school entitled fans who think i woe them something. and certainly for the snarks who think they got it all figured out 20 years after the fact. look twice at what i say and ask yourself am i really talking to you, or am i just trying to throw the jerks off my trail. i don't want a FAKE success.

December 6, 2010 7:18 PM
FROM Travis Large It's
great getting this information straight from the source. Media and blog
interpretation of your actions and choices leave a lot to be desired.BC: thank you. i'm doing my best to close the gap a little. i'm all for a deeper exploration of what is 'happening' right now.

December 6, 2010 7:07 PM
what most wouldn't understand is that i have cultivated this doubt around me, and exposed the uncertainties of my journey ON PURPOSE. it is not an act so much as an act of real rebellion. the haters just become part of a sub-plot that makes the gold (and the junk) worth making. the fans who really understand are sophisticated enough to 'get' what is really happening within us :)

December 6, 2010 7:03 PM
so i had to go back to the drawing board and re-wire my brain. It has taken a lot of patience on my part to get past the near constant doubt of my ability/direction and also of who i put my faith in to turn this band around. i have never lost faith in me where many have. there is no band in the world like SP, nor will there ever be to come, for better or worse.

December 6, 2010 6:59 PM
i mean, what is the point of even being in a band if the majority of the audience isn't invested in where you are headed, going...zeitgeist was never designed to be a complete statement like say 'siamese' or 'mellon collie' or 'machina' was. it was seen by us as a place to begin again. instead it was a signal of the bitter end i had just put off for 7 or 8 years.

December 6, 2010 6:57 PM
when we brought the band back, we never figured that there would be so much emphasis on the 90s material VERSUS the new (zeitgeist) material. we'd never been in that position before where the lack of investment in our new music was equal to such a heavy focus on the past. when we saw that a lot of the audience really wasn't investing in the future, that sort of stopped me cold.

December 6, 2010 6:52 PM
FROM Stefanie Lacks I
find the "past is in the past" stuff odd. A lot of people became fans
during the 90s, and it's work they love dearly. We all love the new
directions and the new music, but I'd hate for the older material to be
lost in the fray because there's some mission that seems to want to
sweep it under the rug. BC: a great point, and worthy of a longer explaination.

December 6, 2010 6:16 PM
FROM Evan Seary Classic Billy, hating on his fans. BC: no classic fans hating on me. so f'n boring...99.9 pct of the people i meet in my reality don't give a fuck about spiteface or any of this other shit. time to move on. i LOVE my fans, even the ones who despise me. i have never been about ass kissing fans.find an artist who reaches out more or has released more music than me and i say go hate on them instead.

December 6, 2010 6:10 PM
ok. football time...more questions (maybe) later. please post any further questions here. only current questions please. please please please...it's boorish to keep bringing up the distant past :) i really like talking about our future ♥

December 6, 2010 6:08 PM
FROM Marc Burrows That
degree to wihich Smashing Pumpkins fans seem to dislike their favourite
band never ceases to amaze me. I remember fans hating Adore, then
Machina, the Zeitgeist, now Teargarden, I honestly don't know how you
stay sane. BC: i lost my mind and way a long time ago. BUT i feel very clear now. i am very appreciative, super appreciative of the true fans who have stuck with me thru the end.

December 6, 2010 5:54 PM
FROM Nat Alia so
many questions! Would you ever consider having a special show, just for
fans? Give fans from all over the world a chance to congregate and hear
non-hits and your faves? BC: never gonna happen. fan base doesn't agree on anything and never will. i wish it were different. we see crowds these days that don't even know Machina songs. it's been 10 years! ship has sailed on a united SP nation

December 6, 2010 5:52 PM
FROM Daniel Richardson Which
era sound-wise would you like to revisit most while recording for
Teargarden? For example, could we hear more Gish-like songs or
Adore-like songs in the future? Is something like this a conscious
decision when you come up with a song or something you find as you
develop songs further? BC: none. past is boring when you've already lived it full on

December 6, 2010 5:50 PM
FROM Denis Kuzel Since
TBK is actually a concept album would it be wrong to expect longer,
epic, atmospheric songs? Experimantal, trippy, ''progressive''?And, honestly, you are the best idol a fan could want. BC: we are absolutely headed that way...summer 2011 i think you'll see those results

December 6, 2010 5:47 PM
FROM Chris Gormer Would that include Spiteface? ;) BC: please go back to Netphoria and log in ho-ho-ho those questions mean something over there. or Hipsters Disintegrating...x

December 6, 2010 5:44 PM
FROM Alex Hartzler What's
the biggest difference for you, as an artist, writing and performing
music in the Facebook and Twitter era, compared to before? BC: everything is fast food info. somebody puking on the street is equal to or greater than a great song. puking requires no skill but will get you more energy back. quality used to equal more. now it probably slows you down too much...and so on down the rabbit hole

December 6, 2010 5:41 PM
FROM Andrew Tyrrell Hello
Billy, as a fan of the Pumpkins for over 10yrs, I've always loved
discovering b-sides and demos from each album. Do you have any plans or
intentions of releasing unheard songs or alternate versions of songs
from the Teargarden project? Like a separate box set or Pisces
Iscariot-esque disc? BC: yes! there are so many demos. it should all be in the box set THAT YOU HAVE TO BUY $$$$ ho-ho-ho

December 6, 2010 5:39 PM
Jets! belicheck is so angry white man...Zzzzz...at least Rex Ryan is funny big guy

December 6, 2010 5:38 PM
FROM Brian Clark Tom Tom is my favorite of the "new era" SP songs. I was suprised by it when I heard the first time. BC: every song i have done since Mellon Collie has been met by a fairly divided opinion. a lot of Gish fans HATED Siamese when it came out. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you can see why i have learned to ignore both praise and condemnation. To each his/her own x

December 6, 2010 5:36 PM
FROM Marisa Pocobene I honestly didn't like Tom Tom. It was so bland. BC: there always has to be one contrarian in the bunch...you win the race and remind me why i don't answer questions... ;)

December 6, 2010 5:34 PM
BC (tom tom pt 3) i have to give Kerry (@studiodog) a lot of credit for pushing me to find more in the recording. we all went nuts trying to get the balance right. so much so that by the time it came out i'd kinda given up on it. hence my surprise for the positive response. so thanks! a nice surprise for me. usually not the case! i usually have to wait 7-10 years to be proven right LOL

December 6, 2010 5:31 PM
BC (more on Tom Tom): we actually worked on Tom Tom for over a year! in an earleir version it had no live drums and sounded more like an Adore-type track. but i'm glad we added the drums. i think it's a nice merge of guitar pop and electronic elements. it was one where the simple version was too simple and if we overproduced it it killed the prettiness of the song.

December 6, 2010 5:29 PM
FROM Chris Reitz I'd
love to hear you talk about Tom Tom. As far as I'm concerned, when God
invented rock, he had Tom Tom in mind, and I think it'd be cool to hear
your thoughts on inspiration behind it, recording/production, etc... BC: thanks for the kind comments. i've been taken aback at the overwhelming positive response to Tom Tom. i didn't expect it.

December 6, 2010 5:25 PM
FROM Mark Lind the
Teagarden songs are some of the best songs you've done in years. do you think you'll ever add any of
your solo songs or Zwan songs to your live set? BC: we actually discussed adding 'of a broken heart' to the SP sets back in the summer, but i decided against it. i think SP should just play SP. i have thought about doing solo acoustic shows that would cover all my fave songs from all eras 1985-2010

December 6, 2010 5:22 PM
FROM Matt Matthew Fastnaught Do you think you'll get the whole band in the studio, or will you continue to do all the guitar and bass while Mike drums? BC: the 2 new recordings we just did feature all 4 of us. i'm very pleased about that. much less work for me honestly, and they are all making great contributions to the songs. both songs are almost done, just need some background vocals

December 6, 2010 5:19 PM
The Fellowship uses ARP 2600, and Oberheim 8 voice! :)

December 6, 2010 5:18 PM
here's one while i'm waiting for football to start, FROM Andrew Ashley McAuliffe: Do you think you'll ever dabble with electronica again? BC: i think Teargarden will have plenty of electronic elements at the end if the day. the newest recordings we just did both have a lot of synth stuff on them, but i don't like to look at it as guitars vs synths. i like it all...more is better

December 6, 2010 4:53 PM
just back from antique shopping now, looking forward to some Monday Night Football...i was thinking i could maybe answer some fan questions later on tonight, but please only ask questions related to the current line-up of the band, Teargarden songs, this tour and of course the future of this record. thanks! BC

December 6, 2010 11:15 AM
hello Albuquerque! going antique shopping ;) what a beautiful day... <3
Last edited by Sugarcubes Forever on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:21 am

I don't follow many other musicians on Twitter or Facepage. So I have don't have a baseline to compare with Corgan's social media activity. But my impression is that he spends a LOT of time (al lot more than almost anyone else) interacting directly with his fans. Last week, on the anniversary of The Pumpkins 2000 breakup show at The Metro he posted 15-20 times that day about that decade's old show, often reacting directly to his fans who commented on each fragmented post.

And that's despite the fact that he has a legendary Hate-Fan base. Most of the fan sites and message boards devoted to Corgan and The Pumpkins are filled with people ranting and slamming just about everything he and the Band are doing. You would think that the constant negative chants from his fan base would turn him off to directly interracting with them online. But it doesn't.

I can't imagine many of the Rock Stars form the golden age of Rock n Roll doing this type of thing 40 years ago. Spewing out daily stream of consciousness stuff like Corgan does. Could you see Mick Jagger or Elvis doing this? I don't think so. Although, I'm betting that John Lennon would have dug Social Media. And I could imagine someone like Jim Morrison going to town on it.

I also can't imagine that in the era of the Major Labels that the record execs would have allowed this much verbal diareah online.
Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Return to Rants and Raves