Coronavirus: How ya doing?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Coronavirus: How ya doing?

Post by Jake »

How's everybody holding up?

They canceled school in Michigan. My 13yo is happy about that but it's crazy.

Hard to keep a good attitude when everything is clearly fucked.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Re: Coronavirus: How ya doing?

Post by jonas »

Mostly hunkered down, while trying to convince my teenagers to at least go out less frequently, if they have to go out at all. My son’s college also just broke for an extended spring break, so the house will be full for a bit. He’s pretty freaked out. We also have two elderly family members that we’re trying to convince to stay home more. But past a certain age apparently, some people just say “ah, fuck it, I don’t mind dying". Which isn’t the point, but what are you going to do?

I live in a 50-50 red/blue town, so a fair number of folks here also talking about how this is overblown. Of course, the town is also locking down, and if these preventive measures work, will be hearing for years about how overblown it was. On the other hand, if the measures don’t work, many of them will get sick, and some of them will die. It’s a really fucked-up conundrum.

How are things there?

Oh, here’s a song to go with my post:

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

Doing alright. This absolute, crazy amount of paranoia and mass hysteria isn't helping me much. It makes my depression and anxiety worse, but I am not feeding into this craziness if I can help. Will be out and about all this coming week. Life doesn't stop because people have gone crazy. Spending my time home mostly with my 4K movies and Tori's From the Choirgirl Hotel (found a sealed copy with the sticker on it on eBay). Been on a bit of a '90s kick.
Hope to be seeing Liz Phair twice this year (with a meet and greet) if people can keep a grip on their sanity for more than a minute. People are nuts.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

It's just so fucking weird and depressing. And the fact that there's really no end in sight is...overwhelming. Does anybody really believe the kids are going to go back to school this year?

And I feel terrible for all of the people who work at the restaurants I frequent. I really wanted to go out for breakfast on Sunday to show support, but it didn't seem responsible.

And it seems like so few people are taking this as seriously as they should, so what good is it even doing? The whole thing just feels like another symptom of what a fucked up world we're living in. Everything is terrible and there's not a lot of hope for it to ever get much better.

I acknowledge that I'm a pessimist and that this kind of attitude doesn't do anybody any good, but ugh.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

So far, we're doing as best as we can. My wife is (as of this writing) actually in the hospital for cellulitis in her leg that they haven't been able to resolve using oral antibiotics. That means my 16-year old son and my 12-year old daughter and I are home with the cats. We're making do, but we miss my wife a lot. Right now, it's snowing. looks like powdered sugar sprinkled on top of brownies. Mmmmm, brownies.........

Here's my playlist to cope with CV with dark humor:
  • Elvis Costello -- Waiting For The End Of The World
  • Warren Zevon -- Don't Let Us Get Sick
  • The Minutemen -- Corona
  • Todd Rundgren -- Influenza
  • Johnny Rivers -- Rockin' Pneumonia & The Boogie-Woogie Flu
  • Monty Python -- Bring Out Your Dead
  • Monty Python -- Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life
  • Robert Palmer -- Bad Case Of Loving You
  • The Members -- Solitary Confinement
  • Weirdos -- Solitary Confinement
  • Mudhoney -- Touch Me I'm Sick
  • Black Flag -- TV Party
  • Led Zeppelin -- Sick Again
  • Cheap Trick -- Sick Man Of Europe
  • The Black Crowes -- Hotel Illness
  • Beastie Boys -- Ill Communication, Licensed To Ill

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

That's a good playlist, Murph!

I've kinda been listening to Mind Bomb by the The on repeat, which isn't really helping...
Now, some of you may live
And some of you will die
But remember!
That nothing in your world
Can kill you inside
For He is thinking of you
In your great cities of great solitude
Oh, children
You've still got a lot to fucking learn
The only path to heaven is via hell
Good morning beautiful
Good morning beautiful
Good morning beautiful
Good-bye world

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas »

lol, that seems...non-optimal. I’ve been listening to the local college radio station - it gives me at least some sense of community.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

This is getting weirder and scarier. Michigan ordered a lockdown starting tonight at midnight. Still allowing carryout food from restaurants, though, so I don't really see what's different. Grocery stores and gas stations are still open. I guess it's for people who weren't already taking it seriously.

I went to return my 13yo's brand new unused lacrosse cleats to Dick's today at lunch but it was already closed. So now I will have to stop feeding him so he doesn't grow.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

Damn. I had this all typed on my phone and it lost what i typed. AND it was long. Suffice it to say things aren't great. I'm working from home in a semi small place with one TV and the computer is in the same room so i see the same four walls every day. So it's affecting my issues. And my bank account is screaming for me stop to spending. My tax refund came in so I've been buying a ton of cds and 4K Blu-rays. I've gotten hooked on buying sealed cds with the stickers on the front and the label on top. and one I lost recently (still have the case and everything). Here's the rundown:

Dave Matthews Band - Crash (20 anniversary Vinyl)
Dave Matthews Band - Crash (cd)
Temple of the Dog - Temple of the dog (25th anniversary deluxe cd)
Phil Collins - Serious Hits...Live! (2019 remastered cd)
Garth Brooks - Legacy Collection (original analog and digital remastered box sets for $60 and that includes 14 vinyls and 14 cds)
Morrissey - I Am Not a Dog On a Chain (cd)
Jagged Little Pill original Broadway recording cd (what can I say other than what I am is what I am, LOL)
Dave Matthews Band - Livetrax cd (first show of their Crash tour in 1996)
Tom Petty - Wildflowers (sealed cd with the label)
Tom Petty and the HeartBreakers - She's the One (sealed cd with the label and sticker)
Friends soundtrack (sealed cd with the sticker and label)
Tori Amos - Strange Little Girls (sealed cd with the sticker and label)
Alanis Morissette - Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (sealed cd no sticker)
Alanis Morissette - MTV Unplugged (sealed cd with the sticket and label)
Blues Traveler - Four/ Straight on til morning (sealed cds with sticker)
Weezer - Blue Album (SACD hybrid sealed)
Harry Connick Jr. - Star Turtle (sealed cd with sticker and label)
The B-52's - Good Stuff (sealed cd in longbox hopefully)
Tori Amos - To Venus and Back (used copy as sealed was too much)

These will go nicely with my new Bose 700 headphones. Now just to figure out what I'm going to listen to Friday when i go back in to work. Any suggestions?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

So let's see... we've been under stay-at-home orders here in Chicago for what, two weeks maybe? Maybe a little less? I admit I've been able to "go out" in terms of being the person who goes out and does the shopping. But it's odd, strangely quiet, very ghost-town like when I do. I don't like knowing that for me to be my usual extroverted self, I do so at my own peril. Goes against my nature. But to that end, I deliberately did my Costco shopping with headphones on, to remind myself to social-distance. [Egads, the new verbs being created make me cringe.]

I'm the primary home-school eLearning "teacher", and while I certainly don't mind doing it (under normal circumstances, I'm a substitute teacher anyways), it does tend to leave me rather exhausted at the end of the day. Which serves as just another excuse for me to not have made as much forward motion on producing the first episode of my podcast as I should've by this point. GRRRRRR!! [self-talk] STOP PROCRASTINATING!! Deliver the podcast to the world, because it'll be great. Show the world how it oughta be done, man!! [/self-talk]

Yeah, a bit crazy, but I guess I'm surviving. I want shit to go back to normal. This surreal shit is getting tiresome. Stay healthy, everyone.