Coronavirus: How ya doing?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: Coronavirus: How ya doing?

Post by Jake »

jaimoe0 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:13 pm Hey brothers and sisters. Long time no post. Tell me something to listen to in order to navigate this hellscape!
Welcome back! Here's what I have been listening to:

- RTJ4 which just came out last week is pretty powerful.
- Songs for Pierre Chuvin by the Mountain Goats has been my go-to.
- Been getting into John Prine's first couple albums, which for some reason I had overlooked until he died.
- Bob Seger and the Last Turd's Heavy Music: The Complete Cameo Recordings 1966-1967, which I can't believe they finally official released.
- Jason Isbell's Reunions is great except the two songs that sound too much like Dire Straits.
- Micah Schnabel (from Two Cow Garage) - The Teenage Years Of The 21st Century. Sad and righteous.
DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

You could always listen to this really cool podcast that’s new...

https://famouscat.transistor.fm/
Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

jaimoe0 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:13 pm Hey brothers and sisters. Long time no post. Tell me something to listen to in order to navigate this hellscape!
Hey jaimoe0! I've been listening to The Chats non-stop. Fun, old skool garage punk.
jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

Y'all are too kind. Time to get to it, and it's good to be back!
DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

In all seriousness, here are a few of my favorite (musical) things:
  • Bob Mould — his new single “American Crisis”. Bob is pissed, and the result is a blistering furious punk song
  • Hushdrops— I have heard a preview of their third album, and it’s awesome
  • Questlove Supreme — this is such an awesome podcast. Kenny Gamble (1/2 of the magic behind Philly International Records) was just a guest.
  • A lot of the score music from the Back To The Future movies, by Alan Silvestri.
  • I’ve been listening to the Smoothies and two of their spinoff groups (The Prescriptions and Minim) in hopes of booking the principals on the podcast.
jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas »

DJMurphy wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:47 pm In all seriousness, here are a few of my favorite (musical) things:
  • Bob Mould — his new single “American Crisis”. Bob is pissed, and the result is a blistering furious punk song
  • Hushdrops— I have heard a preview of their third album, and it’s awesome
  • Questlove Supreme — this is such an awesome podcast. Kenny Gamble (1/2 of the magic behind Philly International Records) was just a guest.
  • A lot of the score music from the Back To The Future movies, by Alan Silvestri.
  • I’ve been listening to the Smoothies and two of their spinoff groups (The Prescriptions and Minim) in hopes of booking the principals on the podcast.
Well, that’s an excellent 2000th post, lots to look into.

I don’t have much music I can recommend right now...other than mining through the Mountain Goats back catalogue, I’ve mostly been listening to German-language music (various categories of ‘rock’) and ambient. If anyone likes those categories, always glad to give recommendations.

Massachusetts is opening up our “phase 2“ of people getting out and around, and I’m seeing pictures of my friends celebrating in bars. Those pictures make me reflexively uncomfortable, and I’m not sure it will be the same, at least not for a few years. Plus it seems like a weird time to be celebrating anything.

We dropped cable a few years ago, mainly because I felt like the inundation of crappy information was hurting us, and now I think I’m grateful? On the other hand, you can find me scrolling through Twitter videos at all hours of the day now, sick to my stomach and angry.

What a fucking time.
DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

Well, that’s an excellent 2000th post, lots to look into.
So that was post #2K? Awesome!! Here’s a diet soda “toast” to the next 2000!! I really appreciate GloNo, and really appreciate having all of you (my fellow music nerds) to hang with, bounce off ideas, and commiserate the state of affairs. Cheers, and thank you all!!
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

jonas wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:59 pm Massachusetts is opening up our “phase 2“ of people getting out and around, and I’m seeing pictures of my friends celebrating in bars. Those pictures make me reflexively uncomfortable, and I’m not sure it will be the same, at least not for a few years. Plus it seems like a weird time to be celebrating anything.
Michigan is opening up more and more. This week restaurants can have dine-in service at 50% capacity as long as there's six feet between tables. Hair salons and barbers can open next week. As much as I would love to sit on a patio and get served mimosas, which I'm guessing is relatively safe at this point in my area, it still gives me the heebie-jeebies. Just not ready yet.

For the first time last week, my 13 yo felt comfortable enough to hang out with a friends in real life. We encouraged him to try to continue social distancing. He and a pal took a bike ride to the ice cream shop, hung out at the park, etc. And then this weekend my kid and DP's kid hung out and had a great time. I hope I'm not being an idiot. We'll see I guess. But school's finally done, thank goodness. I'm happy I won't need to yell at my kid anymore for doing the BARE MINIMUM of work that his teachers were asking for.

I expect I'll be hanging out in real life with people more and more as the summer progresses. It still feels odd that everybody seems to have forgotten about COVID in the wake of the protests. Can we really not focus on more than one thing at a time?

I tried splitting wood with a maul for the first time, and was relatively successful, which makes me feel ridiculously manly, ha ha. Gotta work on my aim for sure, and I should probably invest in steel-toed boots, but it feels super badass when you hit it just right and the wood goes flying!

I am happy to have this place to share my thoughts and it's way more fun when there are other people sharing theirs, so thanks to all of you who have checked in over the years!
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

I've been really digging into the new Moses Sumney album, Grae. Not your typical music, but really interesting. It's just been not quite a day since I've been listening to it, but I've really starting to catch on to it. I would recommend giving it a spin.
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

Jake wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:07 pm I went to return my 13yo's brand new unused lacrosse cleats to Dick's today at lunch but it was already closed. So now I will have to stop feeding him so he doesn't grow.
Update: I was able to successfully return my 13yo's brand new unused lacrosse cleats to Dick's this weekend. Got all my money back, so we bought him a new fishing pole and a pair of shorts. Happy summer! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯