Zwan breaks up, Corgan reads poetry

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:50 am

From the Tribune review by Joshua Klein:
Corgan emerged with a sheaf of paper in one hand and a microphone in the other. With no greeting, he proceeded to read through poems with titles like "In the Wake of Poseidon" and "The Poetry of Oblivion." Corgan sounded surprisingly nervous and he rushed his delivery, casting off each page as he paced around the stage. The mostly respectable poems were often filled with references to mythology, natural imagery and the occasional oblique confession, though they lacked much in stylistic cohesion.

But poetry was just a part of Corgan's presentation. Corgan's next step was to duck behind a triangular screen, pick up a guitar, and sing two Eastern-flavored songs while images flickered on the walls. Corgan courageously followed the music with more poems, this time recited cross-legged on a rug piled while a candle flickered nearby. He then donned an army helmet affixed with several flashlights, eliciting some (hopefully intentional) laughs.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:21 pm

My fave line from that article:

It's the rare rock star who is called a poet. But it really takes a certain type of rock star to apply that lofty mantle to himself.

And if there was any lingering doubt that Billy Corgan was that type of rock star, it was dispelled Wednesday night...

Herb Tarlek
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Herb Tarlek » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:18 pm

[
Corgan courageously followed the music with more poems, this time recited cross-legged on a rug piled while a candle flickered nearby. He then donned an army helmet affixed with several flashlights, eliciting some (hopefully intentional) laughs.

All I can say is "drugs were taken....."

guitared _rose

Re: Zwan

Postby guitared _rose » Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:06 pm

crackhead_jnz wrote:I loved the pumpkins, and I still do because so much of my past is wrapped up in their music, and I still get something out of listening to Siamese Dream or Meloncollie

I did get the Zwan album, I expected something like Smashing Pumpkins, but I got a watered down version. It was like a TRL friendly Smashing Pumpkins.

All around though the Zwan album was ok, at best.

Anyone remember the episode of the simpsons when the pumpkins were in it?

crackhead
I totally agree with you about the pumpkins. I don't know what those other people were talking about. I have so much behind the Smashing Pumpkins that there's no way that I couldn't love them. I adore Siamese Dream, Machina, Mellon collie and Gish. Alot of people that I know love them one minute then just forget that there was anything of them. It pisses me off. As for Zwan, they are just fine. Nothing goes incredibly bad when you had a band such as SP before. I don't understand what Billy is gonna do with himself now...just read poetry.....or is he going solo? You can't trust the internet very well. So

trix
GLONO Board Playa

Postby trix » Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:30 pm

i used to love the sp's....
i bought everything from siamese dream to the last worthless hopeless piece of crap.
siamese dream was fantastic, but still i had songs i'd skip past. mellon collie had some of their best stuff, but even more songs i'd skip. adore was a lovely little sleepy quiet album, it might be my favourite, but the last steaming pile of crap turned me off them completely.
but through all this billy kept coming accross as more and more of a wanker to me. i've never met the guy, but some of the things he said we madly egotistical.

zwan was compared to the adore era pumkins, and so i snapped up the album... holy crap! it was lifeless souless meanderings.....

ah well...
i think i'll stick on adore now....!

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:31 pm

oh man. he's a poet? is he gonna tour with jewel? is he gonna get a book deal just because he's a rock star?
i have very little tolerance for rock stars who do this shit, mostly because (here it comes) i am an unpublished poet who goes to open mics and dreams of maggie estep/anne sexton size props myself. gharrrr.
i honestly never listened to zwan. i was even less inclined to do so after my friend saw them in minneapolis and the only comment he had after i asked them what they sound like was "the bassist is cute."
that said, tom, you are forgiven for liking mellon collie. as hilarious as i find "bullet with butterfly wings" at times, it's still a pretty great song. as skewed and self important as the concept was, the bottom line is that it contains a lot of music that is eminiently listenable. and that is nothing to be ashamed of.
in the words of jack black, "i suspect it means nothing; it's just a bunch of gobbledygook that sounds important.... doesn't matter. DOES NOT MATTER. if it rocks, that's all right."

Return to “Rants and Raves”