the 5,000 things that are great about "lost in translat

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

the 5,000 things that are great about "lost in translat

Postby nobodygirl » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:19 pm

okay, so i can't actually list 5,000 things. that would be jake's deal, listing things. but i saw it this week and am still obsessing over it, specifically for these reasons:
1. bill murray
2. bill murray
3. bill murray
4. the strip club scene that introduced me to "fuck the pain away" leaving me shocked that i went this long without hearing it, and which led me subsequently to mumble "unh. what?" under my breath for an entire evening after downloading it (this is my second posting which references downloads in one night, let us hope the feds and time magazine are not still following me)
5. the soundtrack/score in general, yay
6. bill murray
7. okay, scarlett johansen too
8. but oh my god, bill murray, specifically when he sings "more than this--" i nearly cried
9. tokyo
anyone have any thoughts? bill murray?

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:33 pm

I've been dying to see it, glad to hear you liked it.

Also, the score/sdtrk was done by Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine fame, I've been interested in hearing what the stuff sounds like, seeing as how MBV and Shields have been invisible for the last 8 or 9 years.

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Postby Johnny Loftus » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:39 am

Glorious Noise covered Peaches in 2001:

http://www.gloriousnoise.com/arch/000180.php

In addition, Peaches' latest album 'Fatherfucker' is out, and garnering quite a bit of press, both good and bad. Keep an eye out for GloNo's upcoming Peaches article.

JTL

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:13 am

Tom4 wrote:Also, the score/sdtrk was done by Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine fame, I've been interested in hearing what the stuff sounds like, seeing as how MBV and Shields have been invisible for the last 8 or 9 years.

Um, not exactly. Kevin Shields re-emerged in 2000 when he produced (and guest-guitar'ed) on a few of the tracks on Primal Scream's excellent XTRMNTR album; he also toured with them, which I had the supreme joy of seeing. Definitely one of my top 10 concerts, seeing Kevin Shields with the Scream. He also produced a couple of tracks on their somewhat weaker follow up disc, Evil Heat. MBV is compiling a box set as we speak, and are also finishing up some 12 year old recordings that should have made MBV's Glider EP a full album. I'm stoked... although with MBV, it'll probably take another 10 years to complete the tracks. Sheesh, even Peter Gabriel puts out albums more often...

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:31 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Um, not exactly. Kevin Shields re-emerged in 2000 when he produced (and guest-guitar'ed) on a few of the tracks on Primal Scream's excellent XTRMNTR album; he also toured with them, which I had the supreme joy of seeing. Definitely one of my top 10 concerts, seeing Kevin Shields with the Scream. He also produced a couple of tracks on their somewhat weaker follow up disc, Evil Heat. MBV is compiling a box set as we speak, and are also finishing up some 12 year old recordings that should have made MBV's Glider EP a full album. I'm stoked... although with MBV, it'll probably take another 10 years to complete the tracks. Sheesh, even Peter Gabriel puts out albums more often...

I personally don't care what he does with Primal Scream, I'm concerned with his solo stuff and with MBV. I've heard about the box set and I'm looking forward to it, but other then one song for a compilation a few years ago, Kevin Shields and MBV haven't released anything since Glider. Thank you very much.

wastro
GLONO Board Playa

Postby wastro » Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:05 am

Personally, I didn't know what to expect going in -- I went only on the recommendation of my buddy, and I'm stoked I did. Great great movie.

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby thousandfold » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:17 pm

Ok, I know, I heard it's so great, blah blah blah... But I hate Sofia Coppola. Even without bringing into account her ruining of Godfather III.
See, I read this article in the NY Times magazine (those fascists make you pay for it, sorry, http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FB0C14FE3A5D0C728FDDA10894DB404482) that was basically an interview with her, and it just made me loathe her. She was talking about how her clothing line, MilkFed, pretty much runs itself and she's not involved with it at all, right? Then a couple paragraphs later, one of her rich friends is talking about how you "have to have more than one career to hang out with us." Ok, if my dad was Francis Ford Coppola, I'll bet you dollars to donuts I could make a decent movie, too. Second off, she just said she does nothing with her clothing line. But now it's a career? My ass. She's spoiled and I'm waiting for the movie to show up on HBO, I don't care how good it is.

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:21 pm

Katy wrote: She's spoiled and I'm waiting for the movie to show up on HBO, I don't care how good it is.

Whoa, check the bitterness. Plenty of the rock stars we spend so much time fretting over are preening little brats. How many among us own Siamese Dream? Or The Joshua Tree? Or Gold?

RYan

Postby RYan » Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:16 am

Gotta bring up "Gold" don't ya??

campfirewood1980
GLONO Board Playa

Postby campfirewood1980 » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:55 pm

Ok, if my dad was Francis Ford Coppola, I'll bet you dollars to donuts I could make a decent movie, too.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here, Katy. My dad's a great accountant, but you wouldn't want me to do your taxes. Trust me.

Y'know, I can understand why you wouldn't want to kick it with Sofia. However, I think you're doing yourself a great disservice by swearing not to see it in a theater. Murray and Johansen turn in such nuanced performances that you really might miss something on the small screen. Plus, Tokyo is a big city and can't really be presented as such on television. Trust me on this one.

Return to “Rants and Raves”