Morrissey Releases Collection of B-Sides: Swords

This is the place for publicists and artists to let people know about their bands and websites and shows and stuff. If you're going to hype your shit, this is the place to do it.

Moderators: Jake, D. Phillips

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Morrissey Releases Collection of B-Sides: Swords

Post by Jake »

MORRISSEY RELEASES B-SIDES ALBUM: SWORDS (NOVEMBER 3 - UME)

WEST COAST TOUR starts November 29th in Seattle

2009 has been quite a year for Morrissey. He’s toured relentlessly, performing to sold-out audiences around the world. His 9th studio album, Years Of Refusal, saw Morrissey tie his highest US chart debut on the Billboard 200, and he’s overseen upgraded and remastered versions of his ‘90s works Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted. Crowning what is undoubtedly his most productive year since his solo career began in 1988, SWORDS compiles 18 select songs released as b-sides of his 13 hit singles from his last four albums.

As an artist who has always ensured his b-sides are of as outstanding quality as his singles and album tracks, SWORDS features some of Morrissey’s finest material. 12 songs are collaborations with guitarist Alain Whyte, the rest co-written with guitarists Boz Boorer and Jesse Tobias, and former keyboardist Michael Farrell. In keeping with the three remarkable studio albums covered in his period – 2004’s You Are The Quarry, 2006’s Ringleader Of The Tormentors and Years Of Refusal - the music is powerful and adventurous. The richness and expression of Morrissey’s voice has never been greater. With unmatchable style, wit and insight, truths beneath the surface are laid bare. There are moments of personal reflection; “Munich Air Disaster 1958,” for example, is a heartrending lament for the Manchester United players who died in the infamous plane crash, and for those who were left behind. The live cover version of David Bowie’s 1973 song “Drive-In Saturday” reveals a little more of Morrissey’s own teenage self, with its lyrics of amorous confusion modified to rhapsodize over The New York Dolls rather than the Rolling Stones. Chrissie Hynde makes a rare appearance, singing backing vocals on “Shame is the Name.”

The album was compiled by Morrissey who is surely in the rudest of creative health. They’re subtly assembled and sequenced –the feeling of approaching extinction in the beautiful “The Never-Played Symphonies” followed by a promise of a reunion in the afterlife on “Sweetie-Pie.” As Morrissey said of the Tour Of Refusal in March, “all of our answers will be in our songs.”

Initial quantities of SWORDS will come with a bonus disc featuring eight superb live performances recorded in Warsaw in July this year. This will include songs from Morrissey’s last two albums and 1994’s Vauxhall And I, plus The Smiths’ “You Just Haven’t Earned It Yet, Baby,” first heard on the group’s 1986 b-side collection The World Won’t Listen. In October and November Morrissey and his band will also tour the UK and Europe, with new American dates scheduled for later in the year.

SWORDS will be released in the UK on October 26th and November 3rd in the US.

SWORDS Tracklist:

Good Looking Man About Town
Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice
If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me
Ganglord
My Dearest Love
The Never-Played Symphonies
Sweetie-Pie
Christian Dior
Shame Is The Name
Munich Air Disaster 1958
I Knew I Was Next