Rock Aid

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Rock Aid

Postby miss carol » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:29 pm

In the grand money-losing, pocket-lining, ego-stroking, profile-raising tradition of music benefit concerts, Canuck TV is getting together to "raise money for tsunami relief".

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050112.wxasia12/BNStory/Entertainment/

This says it all:
Globe & Mail wrote:Meanwhile, Cochrane had been busy getting talent

Do you honestly think these big events are worth the effort? What about the local ones? I really don't think the money goes to the intended group/person.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Rock Aid

Postby worpswede » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:46 pm

miss carol wrote:Do you honestly think these big events are worth the effort? What about the local ones? I really don't think the money goes to the intended group/person.

I don't know about that. I do know that when Tom starts playing that opening line of "Lunatic Fringe", my credit card number is ready.
I'm also frightened at the idea of Alex Lifeson beating me up if I don't help out.
Is is it too early to be cynical about this? I hope not!
Sarcasm mode off: I don't believe that the majority of the money goes to the intended victims. But we are the world. We are stars. And tonight thank God it's them, instead of you. Sorry, I couldn't help it. Hell's got all the good bands anyway.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:06 pm

not sure of teh news source for this but sheeeeeeeeee-it

Meanwhile, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" actor Chow Yun-Fat pulled out of a tsunami relief fund-raising concert in Hong Kong last weekend because he had to keep his new haircut a secret, according to a report.

Chow's wife, Jasmine, was quoted in the South China Morning Post as saying, "He is working on a movie [in the West] and has a new hairstyle - it's specified in the contract that he mustn't expose his hairstyle before the movie is out."

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:03 pm

Flawed though it was, at least Live Aid shone a light on a problem that many in the western world were not particularly aware of (or chose to ignore). Having said that, with today's 24-hour news networks, is there a man, woman, or child alive today in the 'first world' who hasn't heard about what happened in the Indian Ocean 2.5 weeks ago?

It also seems to me that the lines of communication (i.e. the infrastructure to get Joe Blow's money into the hands of the relief agencies) is also a lot clearer today. So I'm not sure the telethon will do much to improve things for people who "want to give but don't know where".

I guess it will make the artists feel like they are contributing to the cause... but maybe if they just threw in $20 like the rest of us, the people who need the aid would ultimately be better off. I don't doubt their intentions are good, but... they may have already missed their cue on this one. Kind of like our DART team.

Better yet, how about having a telethon NEXT year at this time to make sure the cash keeps flowing and the devastated areas aren't forgotten?

I for one would pay good money to watch a drunken Alex Lifeson beat the everlasting cheese out of, say, the guy from Matchbox 20 :-) All for a good cause, of course.

GTSM.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:15 pm

Better yet, how about those artists through in a percentage of their royalties? I'll bet Saline Dijon can pony up a little more than $20 Canuck bucks. This is a total ratings grab for CBC that's lost out because of the strike and a CanCon orgy for the radio stations.

I just don't trust this crap. If you want to do something, and you can afford it (as I'm sure most of these artists can) then sign a cheque. Grafstein did SARS-fest (god help me) with the Stones, ACDC, Justin Timberlake (I kid you not) and a bunch of other bigass stars. No one can convince me this amublance-chaser does this for free.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:51 pm

wouldnt it be nice if bush jr would cancel some of his re-inauguration festivities (congratulations, youve kept your job.wtf?) and put some of that 40 million towards humanitarianism? I know it was planned before this stuff happened but isnt that a LOT excessive?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:04 pm

trainwreck2 wrote:wouldnt it be nice if bush jr would cancel some of his re-inauguration festivities (congratulations, youve kept your job.wtf?) and put some of that 40 million towards humanitarianism? I know it was planned before this stuff happened but isnt that a LOT excessive?

absolutely! i heard the numbers on NPR this morning. the fact that even SOME of that money is from tax payers is absolutely DISGUSTING! what gall. incredible. c'mon, george; make like a frat boy and order pizza w/ a keg. simple. then put the rest into schools so the future leaders are more articulate than you turned out to be.

as far as humanitarian aid is concerned, my worst fears are rising to the surface. tamil tigers are recruiting child soldiers:

Globe and Mail wrote:In Sri Lanka, a Unicef official said Tamil Tiger rebels had recruited three girls – aged 11, 12 and 15 – living in tsunami refugee camps to be soldiers.

Two of the girls, ages 11 and 12, were later sent home to with their parents, and Unicef is working to secure the release of the third, a 15-year-old, spokesman Geoffrey Keel said.

some people never fucking give up.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:16 pm

http://www.musicforrelief.org/events.htmlOn Sale Now
TENACIOUS D & FRIENDS
Benefiting Music For Relief
With Appearances By: BECK, WILL FERRELL, DAVE GROHL, JOSH HOMME, EDDIE VEDDER
The Wiltern LG
January 17th
view pdf

Return to “Rants and Raves”