sabbatical

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: sabbatical

Post by Jake »

grounded5am wrote:plus the number of cd's i have to get each week is increasing (depending on the week).
Maybe that's because you buy so much complete and utter shit, if this thread is any evidence... Maybe try just not buying terrible music for a few months and see how that goes.
DavidMac
GLONO Board Playa

Re: sabbatical

Post by DavidMac »

Jake wrote: Maybe that's because you buy so much complete and utter shit, if this thread is any evidence... Maybe try just not buying terrible music for a few months and see how that goes.
Actually I looked at the first couple pages of that thread and the quality of the purchases wasnt bad.
My helpful suggestions- use the library- I am filling out my computer library by burning cds from the library. Somehow it seems more ethical than filesharing.
Never buy music on the same week it comes out unless its one of your top 20 favorite groups. I have Spoon highlighted- Wilco and maybe a couple others. But if you resist lets say the Bright Eyes release- a couple months later you will realize you dont need it.
But the Music Industry is going to hate to see you go if actually go on a sabbatical.
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

eh. i like what i like. whether it's utter shit or not. i'm weird though. in that many artists that have huge respect and many people love i don't get or dig at all. i've tried with some of them, but could never get myself into them as much as others. my taste in music is odd and all over the map (as evidenced by my buying of the new monstrance cd last week). but i will not buy the latest current top 40 pop act/vh1 staple, most rap/hip-hop, and pop country. usually anyway.
Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Maarten »

grounded5am wrote:

instead of getting the cd's i want now when i can't really do that, i'll just wait. plus i need to get back to my comic books. spread the wealth i say. besides i miss them. we'll see though how long this lasts. what one says and what one does is totally different.
so from cd's you're going to switch to comic books? how long have you been compulsively shopping like this, i'd like to see what your house looks like! :) you need to ask yourself why it is you feel the need to buy so much!
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

actually you wouldn't see much from my house. most of my cd's are gone due to the purge of 05 for which i sold most of what i had for someone's christmas present. and i usually don't switch between comics and cd's, as i buy both. but lately i haven't been buying any comics at all. just cd's.i can't really do either comfortably at the moment. but it's not really due to any sort of compulsive buying gone out of hand. rather it's due to a lot more spending in terms of living expenses going up on the essentials. life at the moment is costing me more than it ever used to. i guess that happens as one gets older.
Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Lep »

miss carol wrote:Grounded, from the sounds of it, you're taking a sabbatical from buying music for a while. I did this when I was unemployed, listened to what I had, and re-discovered some great stuff. Now that I'm employed (overly so), I budget myself. I don't absolutely need to have the latest, hippest, or most talked about straight away.
Yes. When I was broke I went to the library every week and took away albums the way 13-year-olds (used to) do: by picking up the ones with cool covers. Great way to get out of your rut and discover new music.

And yes: If that album's great, it'll still be great six months, 18 months or four years from now.
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

Lep wrote: Yes. When I was broke I went to the library every week and took away albums the way 13-year-olds (used to) do: by picking up the ones with cool covers. Great way to get out of your rut and discover new music.

And yes: If that album's great, it'll still be great six months, 18 months or four years from now.
I did too. Unfortunately, a lot of CDs sounded crackled on my iPod, but by that time I could afford to replace them...used of course :)