johnny paycheck tribute album

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

johnny paycheck tribute album

Postby vitas » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:25 pm

RADNEY FOSTER, BUCK OWENS: JOINING THE JOHNNY PAYCHECK TRIBUTE

(Nashville-AP) -- Buck Owens, Jeff Tweedy, Bobby Bare Junior and Radney Foster are honoring the late Johnny Paycheck, on an upcoming tribute album. Country-punk singer-songwriter Robbie Fulks is producing "Touch My Heart," a tribute album scheduled for release next summer. Rolling Stone reports Tweedy, Bare and Foster recorded backing vocals for Buck Owens, for a cover of Paycheck's classic "Take This Job and Shove It." George Jones covers "She's All I Got;" Mavis Staples sings "Touch My Heart;" and Hank Williams the third does "The Only Hell My Mama Ever Raised." Fulks had hoped to get the album recorded and released while Paycheck could hear it, but he died last February 18th from complications of diabetes and emphysema.

Josh B.
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Josh B. » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:18 pm

I was listening to LUL the other night and someone from the Hoyle brothers was guest DJing and played some non Take This Job... Johnny Paycheck and it was great. I'll definately be searching out some old Paycheck on vinal.

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:03 am

when is that paycheck tribute set to come out. sounds pretty badass...

trainwreck
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby trainwreck » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:54 pm

Jeff Tweedy and Buck Owens....nice.

Mister Yuck

Postby Mister Yuck » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:46 pm

If you're into Johnny, Waylon, Willie, Merle, the Hanks and George Jones, Paycheck is definitely worth checkin' out. My friend and I exchange cheap classic country cd's every Christmas. He got me Paycheck's greatest hits with only about 8 songs on it but it rules.
Wilco is great but if I were you I'd buy a Paycheck cd if you're interested in his music rather than just a tribute cd just because Tweedy is on it.
The hilarious thing about the 8 to 10 song cheap classic country compilations is they leave one or two of the big hits off each one so you have to buy one called "best of" and another called "greatest hits.". I know,what do you want for under 10 bucks. The only steal I got in this category was "The Country Music Hall of Fame Presents Merle Haggard"-- 23 freakin songs on one cd for 12-95. Bruce McCullough of Kids in the Hall once said" greatest hits albums are for housewives and little girls." Yeah but so are tribute albums. Don't get me started on that Ramones tribute album with Marilyn Manson and Metallica on it.

trainwreck
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby trainwreck » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:36 pm

actually in country there is one label which does pretty good for budget "best of" collections, I think its Tee-Vee, and theyve usually got a good span of songs for Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins (who is WAY underrated as far as classic country goes) and the ilk.

trainwreck
GLONO Board Pimp

Classic Country

Postby trainwreck » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:41 pm

I meant for this to be its own thread...whoopsie!the Johnny Paycheck thread put this into my head...we need a thread for classic country that folks need to check out besides the greats Cash, WIllie, Waylon, Hank etc.
I nominate

Marty Robbins. Gunfighter Ballads and Trail songs should be in any good music lovers collection, more than just the tune El Paso, vivid storytelling, some fine cowboy moralizing, and some great damn songs....
Last edited by trainwreck on Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:52 pm

One thing about "Greatest Hits" albums: a lot of times artists who've been around a while -- especially country artists -- have recorded for more than one label. In order to release a greatest hits album that spans the entire career of the artist, a label like Rhino has to license the recordings from the original labels they initially came out on. That's why it's sometime hard (and more expensive) to find a comprehensive compilation.

That said, there's no excuse for only putting ten songs on any compilation cd. Fill 'er up.

I love "hits" comps for bands who are notably "singles" groups, most of whose album cuts were filler anyway. But I've got to have a nice, remastered, 60+ minute compilation with detailed liner notes, etc. There's just no room on my cd rack for any 10-song truck stop bullshit!

Return to “Rants and Raves”