she said how’d u like 2 waste some time

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

she said how’d u like 2 waste some time

Postby nobodygirl » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:08 am

um. has anyone heard the foo fighterses cover of "darling nikki?"
and is anyone else as Completely And Utterly Fucking Appalled as i am?
i love the foo fighters, i really do, but mister dave grohl, you have gone too far this time.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:33 pm

Assuming I wanted to torture myself, where would I find this cover? I only crawl out from under my rock every once in a great while to find out what goes on in the world... ;)

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:04 pm

feh. um. i heard it on the radio on a car trip. i would have turned the station but it was so awesomely bad that i was glued to the (passenger) seat. i think the dj said it's on one of their import singles. otherwise listen to your local testosterone-fueled radio station and they should play it within a half hour or so....

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Postby Johnny Loftus » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:07 pm

Yeah, it sucks ass. It's available most readily as a B-side on the Australian single for "Have it All" (from 2002's One by One), and features Grohl doing this weird three-headed impersonation of Hendrix, Kravitz, and Sam Kinison. It's noisy and sort of needless. But then again it is a one-off on a single, so they were probably just fucking around in the studio. Remember what a big stir the Foos' version of "Baker Street" became?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:08 pm

It's the number 21 song on alternative radio with 1,091 total plays last week.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:14 pm

Johnny Loftus wrote:It's noisy and sort of needless. But then again it is a one-off on a single, so they were probably just fucking around in the studio. Remember what a big stir the Foos' version of "Baker Street" became?

Yeah, I remember the "Baker Street" cover; it wasn't half bad, from what I recall. They also did a cover of Floyd's "Have A Cigar", with so-so results (again, it wasn't a total failure). I dig that Grohl & Co. are picking a wide variety of material, but from what you're all saying... a belly flop is a belly flop.

Memo to Dave Grohl: that CD of all Foos' cover versions=BAD idea.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:55 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Yeah, I remember the "Baker Street" cover; it wasn't half bad, from what I recall. They also did a cover of Floyd's "Have A Cigar", with so-so results (again, it wasn't a total failure). I dig that Grohl & Co. are picking a wide variety of material, but from what you're all saying... a belly flop is a belly flop.

Memo to Dave Grohl: that CD of all Foos' cover versions=BAD idea.

Ahem...darling Dave disregard said memo. So now I have to track down a copy of all this glorious noise? damn you all to warm toasty hell.

DrinkinOxygen
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby DrinkinOxygen » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:07 pm

Speaking of Dave G., did you guys know that he's producing the new Rye Coalition record for Dreamworks?

Stacey K
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Stacey K » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:38 pm

I was a huge Foo Fighters fan around the time of the The Colour and the Shape - I literally got teased for it. I mean, I bought the sweatshirt (still wear it), I breathlessly followed their every TV appearance, etc. I sucked Napster dry of all b-sides, including "Baker Street" and a particularly badass "Iron and Stone."

Last year I went to one of their concerts, thoroughly freaked out the whole time, and wrote about it for their website - but it felt like nostalgia, or as much nostalgia as can be felt by someone who cannot legally drink. Something just felt lost in their stuff; so much of it seemed contrived in retrospect, from dropping a huge curtain initially to playing "Everlong" last. And they played excellently, but "Times Like These" really bugs me.

Wait, what was the topic?... Oh yeah. Haven't heard "Darling Nikki" yet. Sounds like I might not ever - I still want to kiss my Dave G. picture good night. Ahh, youth.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:38 pm

Ahh, youth.

...and that's why it sounds contrived now. You and the band have grown appart. You want different things... it's time to start seeing other people, I'm afraid.

Dave G, if you want to talk, I'm all ears, hon :)

Return to “Rants and Raves”