the argument ver. 3.0

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

the argument ver. 3.0

Postby creepy » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:42 am

ok... it seems these "compare the relative greatness of these albums" threads have been pretty popular, and have generated some hot sports opinions, so i've come up with one...

which is bestest?

sonic youth-daydream nation

pixies-doolittle

MBV-loveless

GBV-alien lanes/bee thousand (sorta cheating with the two albums here, but it's my poll and i'll cheat if i want to)

spiritualized-ladies and gentlemen...

ok... discuss...

(i was gonna throw maybe VU&nico, or trout mask in there, but i decided to keep the choices in the 80's/90's indie idiom, for fairness's sake)

gauzy
GLONO Board Playa

Postby gauzy » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:23 am

this one here is damn impossible...just give me Bee Thousand and be done with it...to tired to give reasons....

DrinkinOxygen
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby DrinkinOxygen » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:32 am

Wow, this is weird, I'm actually listening to Bee Thousand for the first time ever right now... seriously. (yes, I'm an uncultured barbarian and don't know much about GBV) I'm digging it, but if for no other reason that it's new to me (it's very impressive, mind you), I don't think I can pick it.

I'm gonna say the Pixies all the way, although I think I'd take "Surfer Rosa" if I could have it, but Doolittle is a close second as far as Pixies records go. I really love Loveless too, though, so yeah, it really is pretty damn impossible to choose between these albums.

Damn, Daydream Nation is fucking good too....[/i]

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:12 pm

This one is simple. Bee 1000. If you include Alien Lanes it's a no-brainer.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:39 pm

I don't know; I like my "album shootouts" to have a little more of a thread running through them...

B1K, with Doolittle running second (prefer: Surfer Rosa)

Sonic Youth--worth a sideline rant: Daydream Nation is a good record (with a great cover). I also like Sister, Goo (lame cover), and Dirty. But even these records contain some seriously tedious moments.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to love and admire about Sonic Youth, but isn't it odd how much less large they loom with the passage of time?

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:07 pm

I'd go MBV first (duh). Then SY, then Pixies, then Spiritualized (although Pure Phase would have rated higher on this list than Ladies... )

I'll have to be a total GloNo heathen and profess ignorance of GBV's works, other than the inclusion of a couple of their songs on Matador comps, which have been less than impressive.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:59 pm

LionIndex wrote:I'll have to be a total GloNo heathen and profess ignorance of GBV's works, other than the inclusion of a couple of their songs on Matador comps, which have been less than impressive.

Tut, tut. We can't have that, Lion-o!

I'd recommend Human Amusements At Hourly Rates, GBV's recent best-of CD. It's an excellent collection and a good introduction to the wacky world of Bob Pollard and friends.

Charli
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Charli » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:01 pm

Alien Lanes.

That's my vote and I'm sticking with it.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:54 pm

My Bloody Valentine. Easily one of the top 5 albums of my life. (1983-present)

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:12 pm

Holy God Doolittle hands down, even though I'm one of those jerks who likes Surfer Rosa better.

Return to “Rants and Raves”