A Ghost Is Born

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

A Ghost Is Born

Postby Dreamin » Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:07 pm

Okay, cover your eyes Jake and the rest of you who wish to save yourselves for that special day...

Who's heard AGIB? I'm dying to find out what my GloNo peeps think.

Based on the mp3s I've heard, I think it's going to be my favourite Wilco album to date. Muzzle of Bees is exquisite (Nick Drake meets Neil Young), but Theologians is the track that sticks in my head the most (reminds me of early Elton John, but with much better lyrics). Hummingbird (proudly wearing it's Beatles influence on it's sleeve!) is gorgeous as well. Spiders (kidsmoke) is probably the biggest surprise based on the live versions... not sure if I like the Kraut Rock treatment, tho' part of me is glad that they're fucking with my head a little.

I'm constantly amazed by Jeff Tweedy's ability to channel rock icons at the peak of their careers, yet somehow maintain his own distinctive style. A Ghost Is Born indeed! ;)
Last edited by Dreamin on Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:40 pm

I downloaded it. I HATE "Spiders", but as you said love "Muzzle of Bees", "Hummingbird", "Wishful Thinking", "Company in my Back", et al. I don't know about favorite Wilco album, but I had trouble deciding whether I liked YHF or Summerteeth better when YHF came out. I need to digest it for a while before I decide. It's definitly good, but first impression has it as my third favorite Wilco album so far. Ask me again at the end of the year.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:52 pm

I think Spiders is going to divide fans in a love it or hate it kind of way... just like Radio Cure (which I love) perhaps? It has been a favourite of mine since I first heard it live in 2002. In a weird way, I'm glad that the studio version is challenging me this way. For now, the jury's still out.

As for the rest of the album, chills!

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:18 pm

Yea, you're right about "Spiders" (coincidentally, I also dislike "Radio Cure").

The rest of the album, to me, sounds heavily influenced by Let it Be, and I'm not sure that AGiB is gonna sound anything like these mp3's. I was expecting something a lot more, produced, as the band have been heading in the "noise" direction more and more. I certainly wasn't expecting such a bare-bones record. We'll see how true to these mp3's the real album is.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:40 pm

Yes, I agree, but more like LIB Naked... more spectral vs. Spector, lol. I personally prefer the more subtle, stripped bare approach to the baroque (Summerteeth). I'm not missing Jay Bennett one bit (there, I said it)!

BTW, I love what they have done with Hell Is Chrome - classic Wilco! The music shimmers and floats like a lullaby, with a few Neil Youngish guitar flourishes, beckoning you "come with me" (the devil). Just a wonderful juxtaposition of sinister and soothing! A lot like She's A Jar in that respect.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:43 pm

I believe, Dreamin', that it's you and I only in our utter impatience in reference to June 8th.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:00 pm

Come on, I know that some of you must be having impure thoughts. Give in already! How long can you keep this master of my domain nonsense up? LOL

johnhl
GLONO Board Pimp

A Ghost Is Born

Postby johnhl » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:44 am

I really can't wait to hear this! For the first time in a long time I actually wish I was a Windows user :(

Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby Jiggle Billy » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:45 am

I just got a new iMac and it's the better than any PC I've ever used. I just asked a friend to host the MP3s on his website, and I got them before most SoulSeek users! Suckers!

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:25 pm

Even Pitchfork likes it... hey, Mikey!
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/wearetheworld/04-03-22.shtml

They did get some of the lyrics wrong tho'. ;)

See, I'm reduced to reading Pitchfork now. How sad is that? lol

Return to “Rants and Raves”