Prince goes Jehovah's witness?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Prince goes Jehovah's witness?

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:14 pm

What the hell?
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/12/arts/ ... html?8hpib

One of the new rooms in Paisley Park has the word "Knowledge" painted outside it. Its shelves hold books and pamphlets from the Jehovah's Witnesses, and a Bible sits open on a lectern. Prince has stopped using profanity and has stopped singing about casual sex.

At least it's not Scientology. Let's hope this is a gimmick of the dimimutive purple one...

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:28 pm

kevin smith spoke of suspecting as much when he had an encounter with prince. i saw him talking about it on the DVD set of his college speaking tour.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:40 pm

That is also Michael Jackson's denomination, if I am not mistaken.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:47 pm

how fucking rad would it be to answer the doorbell on a saturday morning and see prince standing there in assless pants with a fist full of watchtowers?

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby thousandfold » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:19 pm

Yeah, he supposedly won't do his "sexy" songs anymore... When I told my mom I was going to see Prince in concert, I shared that bit of info with her as well. She tartly replied, "What, is he just going to sing 'Raspberry Beret' over and over for two hours?"
To my surprise, he actually did an acoustic version of "Cream" in concert. I guess it's not really that dirty, or something. However, to my chagrin, he didn't do "Batdance."

...but seriously, it was a really great concert. His band was excellent, and the show was a lot of fun. My only beef was that he did that stupid medley thing in the beginning. You don't want to play the hits, don't play 'em. But don't get us all excited and then switch to another song.

btw, at the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, when Prince was inducted, he started out by giving thanks to "the most high Jehovah," or something like that. Alicia Keys got in trouble when she went to his Paisley Park compound to play her version of "How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore?" and improv-sang, "I ain't tryin' to hear that shit." Because nowadays, you can't cuss in Prince's compound.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:29 pm

Katy wrote:Yeah, he supposedly won't do his "sexy" songs anymore...

Oh no! Too sexy! Ah, but I must!
I don't usually pay much attention to celebrity gossip, but on a similar note I heard that newly-pruditized Madonna makes her dancers put $5 in a swear jar every time they use profanity.
Last edited by steve-o on Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heitzie
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Heitzie » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:29 pm

For a while last summer Prince was soliciting pamphlets & going door to door in the Minneapolis area but when a family called the news he seems to have stopped.

Michael Jackson was either excommunicated or left the Witnessess, depending on who you ask.

emilyjb
GLONO Board Playa

Postby emilyjb » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:40 pm

At least he's not wearing one of those damn red kabbalah bracelets that is supposed to "ward off evil."

The funny thing is someone told me that Britney was wearing one when she busted her knee.

So maybe the next celebrity denomination will be Southern Baptist and carbs will come back in style from all the biscuits and gravy...

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby thousandfold » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:49 pm

emilyjb wrote:At least he's not wearing one of those damn red kabbalah bracelets that is supposed to "ward off evil."

The funny thing is someone told me that Britney was wearing one when she busted her knee.

Yeah, but the best part is, I read she doesn't wear it while performing because she doesn't want her mom to know she is "studying" it. Lynne Spears, for her part, is afraid the Kabbalah people will try to take a percentage of her daughter's earnings like they do with Madonna. Of course, if I've read it, I'm pretty sure her mom knows what's up by now.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:23 pm

emilyjb wrote:So maybe the next celebrity denomination will be Southern Baptist and carbs will come back in style from all the biscuits and gravy...

Yum!

That's the next best thing to Rastafarian, at least as far as religious fringe benefits. Of course, Southern Baptists are about the craziest of all the Christian sects, so maybe that's not so good.

Still, there must be some way to make buttermilk biscuits cool again...

Return to “Rants and Raves”