Disco sucks, disco sucks, disco sucks!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Disco sucks, disco sucks, disco sucks!

Postby Jake » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:58 pm

It was 25 years ago...

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:04 pm

Steve Dahl bores me to tears.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:25 pm

I don't think I've ever heard him. Is he still on the air?

I'm looking forward to watching this special because I'm curious whether or not they'll address the sexist, racist, and homophobic connotations of the whole anti-disco thing... I mean, we all love the rock of course, but let's face it: what most people call "rock and roll" is still strongly entrenched in "white guy" territory.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:42 pm

I remember that day well. And what 11-year old Chicago boy could forget "Lorelei," who settled in there with Charlie's Angels and Daisy Duke to make a "tweener" feel all...gulp, like, weird inside?

I hated disco too (still have no nostalgia for it whatever) and never thought about the racist implications (much less the sexist/homophobic ones) until much later. Looking back on the background, time, and setting I could see how that might have been the case...but certainly, for me and my 10-11 year old friends, it wasn't like that was on our minds.

Any other oldsters who remember this event?

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:37 pm

Barabajagal wrote:Any other oldsters who remember this event?

I do, even tho I was in Michigan at the time. With us it was a half serious thing; we didn't like disco much, but most of what all the anti-disco types liked was 70's dinosaur rock. By that time, my friends and I were solidly into the punk and the burgeoning new wave scene, so we didn't really care about Aerosmith and Ted Nugent that much.

"Disco, schmisco - have you heard about this band called Devo?" Ah, good times...

Jeff K

Postby Jeff K » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:41 pm

I hated disco at the time too but looking back they probably had more fun than us "white guys" into ROCK. They certainly got laid more.And the whole burning of disco records DID reek of racism.

Nowadays, I'd rather listen to Donna Summer than Journey or REO.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:10 am

WHAT THE HELL???? I honestly would love to know what is going on with the whole racist/homophobic accusations levelled at a single goofy sports promotion. Disco Demolition itself was not racist, homophobic, or even cruel to animals, to the best of my knowledge. Unless Steve Dahl or Garry Meier was on the field at Comiskey saying such ugly things as "This'll show all those faggots and spics" (not what I think at all, and not, to my knowledge, what Steve Dahl or Garry Meier said that night), you are truly stretching it calling the single isolated event of Disco Demolition either racist or homophobic.

Now, could the eventual disco backlash have had these underlying thematic elements? Sure. It's quite possible that either or both racism and homophobia raised their ugly heads in the time AFTER Disco Demolition. And I can't speak for Steve or Garry's on-air discussions at the time, as a) I was 6 years old, b) at that time was not a regular Steve & Garry listener, c) did not know what racism or homophobia was at the time, and d) have not gone back and listened to any archived shows of theirs that might have contained those types of offensive concepts. The facts that at the time a whole bunch of predominantly white people were into Steve & Garry, baseball, and disco-hating do not automatically make Disco Demolition an automatic Ku Klux Klan rally.

I'm not trying to be a Steve & Garry apologist here; I honestly don't see how you can legitimately project any sort of hateful attitude onto this one event. There may indeed be information about this that I'm not aware of. If that is the case, I invite anyone to please enlighten me how Disco Demolition itself, isolated from the eventual disco backlash, had any sort of racist or homophobic undercurrents. Because frankly, dat duck of yours over dere ain't quacking.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:06 pm

DJMurphy wrote:I honestly don't see how you can legitimately project any sort of hateful attitude onto this one event.

This event was capitalizing on people's hateful attitudes toward disco. 50,000 classic rockers filled Comiskey because they hated disco. I think what we're suggesting is that there's a lot more going on in the minds of the anti-disco crowd (even if it's subconscious) than just not liking the dancey pop music loved by people in bellbottoms and feathered hair.

Disco represented a threat to the macho male-dominated music industry because of its inclusivity. Black people, gay people, and women were making disco records and dancing to disco records. That idea threatened the shit out of Mr. Rock Establishment.

What I'm trying to understand is why any 6- or 11-year-old white boy would consciously hate disco as a genre? I can't imagine. Do you think kids' aesthetic judgment is that astute? Someone taught you to hate that scene. And I'm saying the people behind that hate had some unsavory motivations, even if it was buried deep in the back of their minds.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:21 pm

I loved disco as a kid and watch the movie "Thank God It's Friday" every single time it was on HBO. I think kids naturally love disco. What's not to love?

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:06 pm

I agree. The soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever was one of the first albums I owned as a kid and I f*cking loved it. I used to rollerskate around wearing a blue satin jacket and boogie my ass off to Abba in fourth grade. Later on, Blondie's Heart of Glass was a gateway to NY punk and new wave.

Return to “Rants and Raves”