Galaxy 500 Interview

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Galaxy 500 Interview

Postby Jake » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:13 am

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:20 pm

Interesting interview, and interesting that Damon brought up Beat Happening. Galaxie 500 and Beat Happening were two bands that I felt like I should like, and I thought they were making music for all the right reasons and conducting their careers in the "right" way, whatever that means, but when I heard the music at the time, I was unmoved. I've since come to appreciate both bands a little more. And I'm a fan of Luna. What does Damon and Naomi sound like?

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby anothermonkey » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:24 pm

Damon and Naomi sound A LOT like Galaxy 500. More so than Luna, I'd say. Very simple chords, kind of sad, and dreamy. Wouldn't it be nice if Glorious Noise put up an FTP server where we could all share mp3's...eh? eh?
Last edited by anothermonkey on Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby anothermonkey » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:27 pm

Speaking of Galaxy 500, I bought that dvd but haven't watched much of it. I love the band but watching them can be a little boring at times. Deaner and friends seem to take themselves a little too seriously at times also...they've always got this oh so serious, artsy air about them when they play. I always pictured them as more dorks. I'm sure I'll watch it all and enjoy it at some point.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:31 pm

anothermonkey wrote:Damon and Naomi sound A LOT like Galaxy 500. More so than Luna, I'd say. Very simple chords, kind of sad, and dreamy. Wouldn't it be nice if Glorious Noise put up an FTP server where we could all share mp3's...eh? eh?

Yeah, so we could get shut down that much sooner! This label is already breaking the bank, let's not invite lawsuits.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:10 pm

Thanks for the link. I'm a big G500 fan but I really don't like Luna all that much. Some decent stuff but not quite as "special" feeling as those G500 records.

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby anothermonkey » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:27 am

The interview with James McNew from Yo La Tengo in the new G500 (yeah) is pretty funny. He starts with 'Jesus Christ, this looks really unprofessional, and the sound is awful. I can't hear the bass at all. Is the whole DVD going to be like this? Don't you think this gives an unfair impression of the Middle East club circa 1988?'

I like his style.

Return to “Rants and Raves”