This is pretty evil.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

This is pretty evil.

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

Making a fake band, writing a pop song for your fake band that is actually an ad, getting that fake band's ad/song song heavy rotation on the air.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/ ... 60816.html

Of course, it isn't much different than buying a pop or rock song to sell cheeseburgers or jeans or cars. Except it's probably cheaper for ad agenicies to roll their own, so to speak.

Props to the lads of Penny Arcade for the info.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/

Post by Guest »

Zomba Records manufactured the single and secured airplay. Nova 96.9's music director David Bessant said the station was aware the single was part of a Mars marketing campaign but the song, which he called "a bit of fun", was assessed on its merits.
Sure it was...

However, I loved the Nestle crunch commercial for the white chocolate version of that tasty treat. remember that one? Sweet dreams are made of these/N-E-S-T-L-E-S...it had that dreamy commercial with the girls all in white on a tree swing. It was a really great jingle. Brings us back to Mac's article: http://www.gloriousnoise.com/arch/000436.php
Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Joshua »

The song's lyrics were written by copywriters and the video, in which the group's identity is hidden, was created by television commercial producers. The lyrics are built around the flavours: peach, apple, cherry, melon, strawberry and banana. The logo on the CD cover also features Starburst confectionery. Not once, however, is the pop group linked to Mars.
Man, that is evil. I don't want the world as portrayed in Demolition Man coming true - ad jungles becoming the mainstream music. Gag me with a Mounds bar...
thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

the next big hit

Post by thousandfold »

My prediction for the next big radio hit:

"Don't you wanna... wanna Fanta? Don't you wanna..."

The subliminal messages to join the navy can't be far behind...
Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

Of course, if you think about it, pop stars and merchandising are already linked pretty closely, like Britney selling Pepsi. This is just the next logical step: creating the next boy band to sell Cheetos will happen, sez me.
Heizer

That clinches it --I'm starting my own band

Post by Heizer »

That clinches it --I'm starting my own band.

They're going to be called 'The Trojans' and the first song from their debut album, "Doin' it", will be called "Lube me."

H
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

You know, I wonder how easy it would be for any halfway-decent unsigned band to get a fat sponsorship deal to change their name to something brand-related and write and perform a bunch of songs about a particular product. It would be so post-modern and ironic and self-referential that it would make you barf, but there's a tiny chance that it could be cool. Imagine, if you will, a band called the Asswipes that only performs songs about how soft Charmin is, and how much better it feels on your butthole than any other brand of toilet paper... Wait a minute, that's just a really, really stupid idea. Never mind.