Snow Patrol

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Snow Patrol

Postby Tom4 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:20 pm

Thoughts on the band? They get a lot of shit for being a standard alternative band, but I think Last Straw is a great album. LIke JImmy Eat World's Bleed American, it transcends mainstream standards while pulling the addictively best elements of them while doing it with a lot more quality.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:44 pm

I remember listening to some of their stuff and then forgetting about it a while back, I think the drummer played in Mogwai for a while or something. Anyway, I kind of like them, they sound like a more traditional brit-pop version of Coldplay.

And since it's sort of related, I might as well come out and admit to really digging that new Keane song, which I don't have the slightest idea what its called. Add that to my list of guilty pleasures.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:55 pm

I kind of got turned off to Snow Patrol when someone came up to me while I was playing Brian Jonestown Massacre's "Strung Out In Heaven" and said "Hey, this is great! This is that new Snow Patrol right?"

That said, I just listened to the new Sparta and I totally dig it even though it's a target marketed piece of crap...

L R
GLONO Board Playa

Postby L R » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:40 pm

Saw these guys at the Metro in Chicago and wasn't too impressed. They have a few good songs, but most of them really aren't that great. It seems like they could do more with the guitars to make it more interesting. The last few songs we're the best. During the set one girl yelled from the audience "I love your curly hair" to the lead singer and his reponse was something like "7 songs in and all you can do is talk about my hair?" The audience was mostly high school kids and young women. Coldplay is incredible compared to these guys, they were kind of like "Coldplay light."

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:04 pm

The concept of "Coldplay light" is terrifying to me. I mean how much more boring-ass, midtempo puke can you get than Coldplay? Coldplay is the British Train with better lyrics.

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:37 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:The concept of "Coldplay light" is terrifying to me. I mean how much more boring-ass, midtempo puke can you get than Coldplay? Coldplay is the British Train with better lyrics.

Come on, you gotta love that "best damn latte that you ever had" lyric.

Snow Patrol suck. Coldplay suck. Train suck. That is all.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:39 pm

i like reindeer section...

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:16 am

I was watching the Wedge last night (which is Muchmusic's show that plays slightly more indie videos) and they had an interview with one of the guys from Snow Patrol. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy. And he requested a video by the Super Furry Animals.

Barring that...aside from a few melodies that are kind of neat, Snow Patrol is pretty boring. The Train/Coldplay comparison is a good one, and they remind me a lot of Pilate too. But, I would so much rather hear a Snow Patrol song when I'm shopping for jeans than, well, Train or Coldplay or Pilate. I think it's because they lack that sort of depressing-ness.

I do love their name though. Snow Patrol. It reminds me of being in a one piece snowsuit free as a bird on a snow day.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:35 am

I heard Snow Patrol do an interview and play a few songs on the local "modern rock" station. I thought their songs, while too samey sounding over the course of 4 in a row, had a stately melancholy and more interesting melodies than Train or Coldplay. They seemed to wallow in their melancholy more than CP or Train, which is more interesting than just blunting the edges of melancholy to a radio ready sigh. And yes, the two gentlemen doing the talking seemed like swell guys... way funnier than their songs.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:25 pm

I saw the band in the summer and rather liked the show. There's other records I'd buy first and I'm not falling over myself to see them again, but I've spent my time doing worse things.

Return to “Rants and Raves”