Sinclair Broadcasting's Latest Stunt

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Sinclair Broadcasting's Latest Stunt

Postby Little Timmy » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:32 pm

Y'all hear about this? Could you imagine CBS preempting prime-time programming to air Fahrenheit 9/11 a week before the election? If you have a Sinclair-owned station in your town, send 'em a nice note telling them you'll crawl nose-deep through cow shit before you'll ever watch their station again!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/variety/20041012/va_tv_ne/copps_tickets_sinclair_3

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:37 pm

Better yet, call the local advertisers.

www.talkingpointsmemo.com

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:22 am

did you know that a subsidiary of Sinclair received a Nice Phat government contract from the Bush Administration for Iraq just before announcing publicly that they'd air this garbage.

http://www.bluelemur.com/index.php?p=340

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:22 pm

Yeah, Virginia is blessed enough to have two of the three urban areas around with stations run by Sinclair. Of course, it's the FOX network so I never watch it anyway.
I think it's important that people don't ignore this, but don't turn it into a crusade either. It's just free advertising, and it gives those people exactly what they want. This is just going to be turned into their F. 9/11. I figure while the FCC should get involved, and as many people as possible should try to get the word out that this is not news but just propaganda, people should be free to watch it if it gets broadcast, and just see it for the bullshit that it probably is. Remember, we were outraged when these same people tried to suppress advertising Farhenheit 9/11, so lets not be guilty of the same thing.
Good news, though, the buzz this has generated seems to be working. I heard Sylvan Learning Centers, who are a major advertiser on Sinclair stations, pulled it's sponsorship.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:28 pm

steve-o wrote:. . . . I figure while the FCC should get involved, and as many people as possible should try to get the word out that this is not news but just propaganda, people should be free to watch it if it gets broadcast, and just see it for the bullshit that it probably is. Remember, we were outraged when these same people tried to suppress advertising Farhenheit 9/11, so lets not be guilty of the same thing.

steve-o: You're absolutely right. We don't want to display the same kind of knee-jerk, reactionary tendencies of the other guys. Unlike F. 9/11, however, this is television. Broadcasters are granted licenses under the condition that they serve the public interest, especially in providing accurate and balanced coverage of elections. Normally, I'd be inclined to live and let live when it comes to free speech, but this is different. This is a media conglomerate ordering its affiliates to broadcast propaganda over the public airwaves. Yes, the FCC should get involved, and advertisers should have their dollars called into question. Apart from all that, lots of people in my neck of the woods will be, like, really bummed, to have an evening of The WB pre-empted.

Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby Jiggle Billy » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:58 am

This is the good stuff right here:

http://atrios.blogspot.com/2004/10/sinclair.html

Saturday, October 09, 2004
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

August 17, 1996, Saturday, SOONER EDITION

David D. Smith, president and chief executive officer of Sinclair Broadcast Group, was arrested this week in his hometown of Baltimore and charged with a misdemeanor sex offense. Sinclair owns WPGH, the Fox affiliate in Pittsburgh, and programs most of WPTT.

The Baltimore Sun reported that Smith, 45, was arrested Tuesday night in an undercover sting at a downtown corner frequented by prostitutes.

On Thursday night, Sinclair issued a statement that Smith's arrest was unrelated to company business and ''The company will continue to operate under the direction of its current management.''

...more

Broadcasting official charged in sex stakeout
Sinclair president, woman arrested in company car

Published on: August 15, 1996
Edition: FINAL
Section: NEWS
Page: 2B
Byline: SUN STAFFPeter Hermann

The president of Baltimore-based Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc., which owns the local Fox television affiliate, was arrested Tuesday night and charged with committing a perverted sex act in a company-owned Mercedes, city police said.

David Deniston Smith, 45, of the 800 block of Hillstead Drive in Timonium, who also is Sinclair's chief executive, was arrested in an undercover sting at Read and St. Paul streets, a downtown corner frequented by prostitutes, Baltimore police said yesterday.

Smith and Mary DiPaulo, 31, were charged with committing unnatural and perverted sex act. Smith was held overnight at the Central Booking and Intake Center and released on personal recognizance at 2 p.m. yesterday. DiPaulo's bail status was not available.

Officials at WBFF-TV (Fox 45) and Sinclair, one of the fastest-growing broadcasting companies in the nation with 28 television and 34 radio stations, would not comment yesterday. The company had $126 million in sales in the first half of this year.

Police said undercover Officer Gary Bowman, on a prostitution detail, was talking to DiPaulo about 9: 15 p.m. in a car at St. Paul and Read streets. She left the undercover car after telling Bowman that ``she had just seen her regular date driving in the area,'' according to court documents.

Police said DiPaulo ran across the street to a 1992 Mercedes, registered to Sinclair, and got in on the passenger side. Police followed the car onto the Jones Falls Expressway, where they said they witnessed the two engage in oral sex while Smith drove north.

Police said they followed the car back to Read and St. Paul streets, where they arrested Smith and DiPaulo, who lives in the 700 block of Washington Blvd.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:49 am

i'm no republican apologist, but him getting busted for being with a hooker 8 years ago doesn't really bother me a single bit... oh and "perverted and unnatural"? lord help us all if we're to be condemned for blowjobs...

Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby Jiggle Billy » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:54 am

It is funny though.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:18 am

Nice, Sinclair fires one of its own reporters for publicly stating that this is propaganda and not news.

A democracy is impossible to sustain when the populace must receive it's information and news filtered through the ideology of wealthy elites.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&c ... &printer=1

Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby Jiggle Billy » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:59 am

I once called Fox to complain about an hour-long, sickening and blatantly slanderous anti-Kerry, pro-NRA commercial, and the lady said "if you don't like it, change the channel."

Thanks, but that wasn't my point. The worse part is, you can't boycott a tv station by not watching it. The best you can do is call them up and harass their poor secretary, who has nothing to do with the broadcast.

Return to “Rants and Raves”