Fade To Black

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Fade To Black

Postby nobodygirl » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:11 pm

(Or, If I Lived In Chicago, I Would Have Already Seen This By Now)

has anyone seen this yet/planning to see it? I saw the trailer over the weekend and almost fell the fuck over.

(IMDB listing.)
I am currently campaigning to get my sister to go see it with me at some point over Thanksgiving break.
Call me naive or unschooled or whatever, and call the movie one long unnarrated rap video, I don't care, but Jay-Z is one of my favorite rappers. I find him completely mesmerizing.
Also, are there any other rap documentaries I could seek out to calm me for the next week or so until I see this (or--shudder--until it comes out on DVD if I can't get anyone to see it with me)?

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

HA!

Postby nobodygirl » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:29 pm

I finally found the picture I wanted to put in the original post.
Now you HAVE TO respond.
(I like Beyonce much better when she's hawking Jay-Z, not McDonalds.)

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:48 pm

I've been meaning to see it, as well. I love Jay-Z.

If you're interested, you should check out the new mash-up of Jay-Z's Black Album. It's called The Argyle Album by 100db's. It's not finished, but you can hear samples at www.100dbs.com. I have to say, I've avoided most of the recent Jay-Z mash-ups, but this one has substance. Highly recommended.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:22 pm

that whore has a lot of hair. i'll give her that. never liked beyonce' or jay-z. don't get into rap and r&b. i do like some old school r&b but not what's out today.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:51 pm

Mmmmmmmm, Beyonce....

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:00 pm

That looks pretty cool. Will have to check it out. I've never been a huge Jay-Z fan but have really gotten into The Black Album. He definitely has skills--both in writing and delivery.

I do have a couple of recommendations for you:

Scratch: This is a documentary on the creation and influence of DJ culture. The first half, all about early hip-hop, is the best, but it's solid pretty much through out.

And although it's not a documentary, you should check out the hip hop classic, Wild Style (if you haven't already). Terrible acting, but everyone in it is either a b-boy/b-girl, graffiti artist, rapper, or DJ. Really great party scenes and amazing "guerilla footage" of people tagging trains.

And hey Grounded, give Beyonce a break! I'm not a huge fan either but I think she's ok. I don't think she deserves to be called a "whore." You don't hear me posting vicious comments about that Paul-Simon-humping-and-sack-gargling, Edie Brickell, now, do you?

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:06 pm

true. i concede. it was menat as playful sarcasm but my humor doesn't go far sometimes so i will step back and say beyonce isn't all that bad. just not my thing. now step away from the edie before i cut ya throat. hehehe
j/k

mmmmmmmmmmmm edie.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:10 pm

grounded5am wrote:mmmmmmmmmmmm edie.

Grounded, you're free to use my Homer pic for emphasis.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:00 pm

thanks but i am rather techincally challenged. i am suprised i was able to get that rufus pic up on here last week. and it took me forever to do the avitar. i can do a few things and that is about it.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

i think of you and let it go...beyotch.

Postby nobodygirl » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:12 pm

Tom4 wrote:I've been meaning to see it, as well. I love Jay-Z.
I have to say, I've avoided most of the recent Jay-Z mash-ups, but this one has substance.

I've mentioned this before, but I do believe that the "Numb"(Linkin Park)/"Encore" mashup/guesting/whatever is one of the Worst Songs Ever Concieved And/Or Executed. And I say this with authority because for some reason I watched the video on LAUNCH before I left for work this morning.
I was a little late on discovering the Grey Album, but I love that almost as much as I love the Black Album. I also remember reading someone (jokingly? I hope?) suggesting that there should be a mashup of "99 Problems" versus Ted Leo/RX's "Heart Problems." Who started this mashup nonsense anyway? Has it always been around and I just didn't notice it?

Return to “Rants and Raves”