Modest Mouse on SNL

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Modest Mouse on SNL

Postby thousandfold » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:01 pm

Did anyone see them, this past Saturday? They were kind of... bad.

I have generally avoided MM because they were part of that uber-hipster-indie thing that bored me so much in college. But I (as has everyone, unless you live in a cave) heard that "Float On" song, and it was pretty catchy, so I thought it would be cool to hear them play it live on SNL.

Wrong!

The lead singer guy was screaming the whole time, like he was trying to prove he wasn't lip-synching? It was pretty bad. So, am I missing something, or is that what they usually sound like? And what's with that guy who does nothing but play the maracas, nowhere near the microphone?!

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:19 pm

I dug it actually.

Erica C.
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Erica C. » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:23 pm

I thought it was cool, too.
But then I really like them, and all their albums.
They have had some recent over-exposure, though.
But that has nothing to do with the SNL performance.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:02 pm

If you haven't heard any of their albums yet, please don't write them off after a live performance. I understand though, they were on Conan a few months ago, and it was just abominable.

I've never actually seen them live, so I don't know if this is the norm, but my feeling is their studio work is ten times better than their live performance.

Kristy
GLONO Team Member

Postby Kristy » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:24 pm

They played/are playing Radio City Music Hall here in NY-- I found that really weird. What a strange venue for a band like that.

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:59 pm

I didn't see them on SNL, but I did see them at All Tomorrow's Parties both this year and last year, and I wasn't disappointed in their performance at all. But, if you don't like the guy yelling for no reason, you're not going to like about half their songs. It took me a while to get used to the free-associative yelling myself, so there's nothing wrong with that.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:08 pm

LionIndex wrote:"free-associative yelling"

That's funny. Is that anything like Tourette's?

explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby explosionsinthesky » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:59 pm

I've seen them like five times and they have been good each time...although I think it's hard to judge a band on two songs.....usuallly a show has it's ups and downs. I just think it's weird that they were on SNL at all. I'm contemplating going to this Q101 Twisted Christmas thing but, A. It's Q101 and B. I'm not too fond of the Aragon. On the other hand, there is the possibility I will be going for free and have backstage passes...if that is the case I will personally bitch slap Isaac for all of you.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:41 pm

I never saw them live until they got big and the audience was filled with Actual Barefoot Hippies who were dancing Hippie Dances because, evidently, "Float On" inspired large amounts of Hippie Love. Regardless, they were pretty fucking amazing (you can tell she's sincere because she curses!). I may be biased because I am a fan and I like free-associative yelling. (I am going to use that phrase as much as possible from now on.) I still would have liked to have seen them in a smaller setting, but from everything I hear about their earlier gigs Isaac Brock was basically drunk and sloppy all the time.
Parenthetically,
nbg.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:44 pm

Hippies? Fuck that.

Return to “Rants and Raves”