Stone sell-out

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

sab
GLONO Team Member

Stone sell-out

Postby sab » Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:51 am

So has anyone seen the "new look" Rolling Stone? Does it suck as bad as we imagined it would?

FYI, Hef was quoted last week as saying that he hopes people will be reading Playboy for the articles after its soon-to-be-realized redesign. Apparently the idea for their re-invention is to make Playboy even more literate. Interesting...

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Rolling Stone

Postby thousandfold » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:35 am

well, it sure is a lot thinner now....

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Yeah!

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:47 pm

I've been waiting for them to deliver my first issue for weeks now. Their subscription rate is lower than Maxim's! Oh Joy!

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:14 am

And now we get the "Women in Rock" issue. Anyone who SHOULD be on this list who isn't? Maybe, I don't know...Chrissy Hynde, Tina Turner, Grace Slick, Debbi Harry, Patti Smith, Patty Smythe, etc. etc.
http://www.rollingstone.com/features/co ... p?pid=1237

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:33 am

they totally ladled on all of the flavorless major label female pop stars of the moment in hopes of squeezing out any last public interest.

nikka costa, michelle branch, kasey chambers, norah jones? one common thread: artisically worthless, current major label performer.

but just when you want to write R-S off, they include a great quote in that issue from Carrie Brownstein of Sleater-Kinney:

"Brownstein: Hip-hop has opened up a whole other space for women to create music and to have really strong images. Women are allowed to be really tough. In rock, in contrast, women are still ghettoized -- you never see a "women in hip-hop" issue. I think that women will never be allowed to save rock music, because the hero -- the rebel who rises from the ashes to save rock -- is always a male."

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:40 am

Leave it to an Indie chick to put things in perspective.

I just find it funny that it's the "Women in Rock" issue and I don't see one rock band represented on the cover. Not even Courtney Love!? Wassup wit dat?

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:22 pm

Hell, name an all-girl rock band right now, that's selling enough records to make Rolling Stone take notice. The women who sell big records seem to be exclusively country, hip-hop, or R&B artists, or pop chameleons who might occasionally choose a "rock arrangement"...

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:35 pm

And that's sad that it takes big record sales for RS to take note. Hell, look at Johnny's review of Hot Sahara Nights. Now THAT is rock and roll! I guess RS should have called this issue "Generic Chicks With Big Boobs and Low Rider Jeans."

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:50 am

Rolling Stone should hire Johnny Loftus. He'll get shit straightened out over there.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:41 pm

As much as I like Johnny, he would do one of three things at the Stone:

1. Get fired (not likely, he's too smart to succumb to this).
2. Quit (also not likely for the same reason as above and the necessity to pay bills).
3. Become the consummate insider, the journalist cum coke whore who parties down with the likes of Lenny Kravitz and Guy Ritchie while chasing after as much backstage poon as he can handle.

In other words, there is no way to "reform" the Stone because they are part of the system, an extension of the marketing departments of the major labels. Sorry guys, but it's the way of the world.

Return to “Rants and Raves”