strange conversations with cubicle mates, part 68

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

strange conversations with cubicle mates, part 68

Postby nobodygirl » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:14 am

So the temp who deemed Joanna Newsom a "fucking chipmunk" is gone, and I generally get along much better with the new one. (Though she did try to convince me yesterday that The Five People You Meet In Heaven was good...)
So I am playing Takeoffs and Landings (Rilo Kiley) this morning and when "Bulletproof" comes on she asks me whether the singer is the same one who did "Schoolhouse Rocks." And I just wanted to semi-randomly share that, because...heh.

nbg.

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:17 pm

This is sure to make your head explode, nbg

So my girlfriend takes my CDs to work. She has a co-worker who has reacted thusly:

1) The Arcade Fire - Funeral
a) Asked if it was Modest Mouse
b) Asked if they were British

2) TV on the Radio - Young Liars
a) Asked if it was Peter Gabriel (!)

And the kicker:

3) John Vanderslice - Cellar Door
a) Asked if it was Cake

I should note that I'm not just makin' fun of a square here, as "Is this Cake?" and "Is this Peter Gabriel?" were asked in a tone that made it clear that the co-worker has nothing but contempt for both those artists, and, by extension, anything that reminds her of them.

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Postby Johnny Loftus » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:44 pm

dieblucasdie wrote:2) TV on the Radio - Young Liars
a) Asked if it was Peter Gabriel (!)

Contempt and ignorance aside, I can actually see the Gabriel reference for TV on the Radio. You know that watery coldness in Tunde Adebimpe's vocal, like on the title track? Now that I'm thinking about it, it's pretty similar to the sexual ambiguity that Gabriel was going for in 78-79 ("Games Without Frontiers" and "Intruder" being great examples), and then there's the notion of TV on the Radio being an update of Gabriel and the rest's prog-rock jones. Damn dude, it looks like that square sitting next to your girlfriend is an unwitting music geek!

You should buy her a short skirt and a long jacket for Christmas.

JTL

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:46 pm

I don't know, I think Peter Gabriel would run away crying if he heard that chugging beat on "Satellite."

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:54 pm

dieblucasdie: *sploding*
Johnny Loftus: It took me, like, 30 seconds to get the short skirt/long jacket. But I GOT IT! HA. *proud*

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:02 pm

dieblucas, at least she didn't ask in passive/aggressive mincing way "if you could turn that down".

after the election my manager/cubiclemate actually read me her email from Michael Moore and talked about the election! this made my head spin. i just spent 6 years in siberia with a boatload of neocons and sheeple whose idea of "good tv" is the survivor season finale!

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:56 am

In the years of reading GloNo, Loftus was at his best just a few short moments ago. Funniest/smartest comment I've hear in a long, long time.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:20 am

dieblucasdie wrote:I should note that I'm not just makin' fun of a square here, as "Is this Cake?" and "Is this Peter Gabriel?" were asked in a tone that made it clear that the co-worker has nothing but contempt for both those artists, and, by extension, anything that reminds her of them.

There's nothing square about about having a healthy distaste for Cake and Peter Gabriel. The first ironically wears its lack of funkiness like a badge, while the second is just plain dullsville, man.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:57 am

dieblucasdie wrote:And the kicker:

3) John Vanderslice - Cellar Door
a) Asked if it was Cake

Vanderslice/Cake? WTF?

Consider my mind blown.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:16 pm

All right, to bring this sort of full-circle: so I came in this morning with a new (expensive!) haircut and the same coworker proclaimed that I look like Audrey Hepburn. Which is a) every girls dream, for some reason, but b) proves that she is, in fact, totally and completely deluded about everything.
The End.

Return to “Rants and Raves”