Giant Post Of What The Hell Happened To You, Band?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Giant Post Of What The Hell Happened To You, Band?

Post by nobodygirl »

This list has been a work in progress for a long while and contains some of my favorite bands of my misspent youth. Feel free to contribute your own versions of this list or clarify answers to any of my contributions:
Alkaline Trio
Girls Against Boys
Hot Hot Heat (I remember reading something shady about them, but it was a very long time ago)
Digable Planets (seriously. What the fuck? I LOVED THEM.)
Spoon (this one is cheating; I know for sure they're still together, I just want their album to goddamn come out, goddammit.)

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

i would also like to add to that list the sundays. man they were a great band. their last cd came out in 97 and was really really good. summertime was a great song. then all of sudden you heard nothing from them. it's been years. where the hell are they?

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Post by Johnny Loftus »

Nobody Girl, did you hear the Good Mourning record from Alkaline Trio, came out in 2003 on Vagrant? It was maligned by too-slick production (thanks, Vagrant!). But there were some incredible melodies on there ("This Could be Love", "Continental", "Fatally Yours" in particular), and the lyrics about slitting wrists and car crashes were cynically morbid instead of sappy and emo.

JTL

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by nobodygirl »

Johnny Loftus wrote:Nobody Girl, did you hear the Good Mourning record from Alkaline Trio, came out in 2003 on Vagrant?
Heard bits of it, and heard LOTS of the criticism of it. Did they break up because of it? Was it the Dear You, version Alkaline Trio? What's going on? Bastards!

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by trainwreck2 »

I think Spoon is doing new stuff and tehyll be on Austin City Limits soon

Coopstar
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Coopstar »

Yeah I think I read recently that Hot Hot Heat were getting ready to release their major label debut. Anyone back me on this?

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Post by Proptronics »

Spoon and Hot Hot Heat both have releases coming out this spring. Britt Daniels from Spoon put out a solo split with Bright Eyes last year on the Home series.

Hot Hot Heat lost their guitarist though, he's still all over the new album.

Alkaline Trio put out a split ep this year with another band that I can't remember on BYO Records. Worth checking out...

Digable Planets, no clue. They were fun.

GVSB, I think I heard that they played some shows recently in NYC but I can't remember.

BandyLou
GLONO Board Playa

Post by BandyLou »

"more than you probably wanted to know about digable planets and wished you'd never asked"

dp's were a fantastic group, and then they broke up. their members were quiet for several years, but have recently come out with a few low-key projects. i was so enamored of blowout comb, and so mystified by their breakup, that i web searched for them for a few years, on and off...

check out www.cherrywine.net to see what butterfly is up to.

see http://www.altrap.com/features/spotligh ... ight1.html for a possible ladybug mecca report, although there were articles / pages floating around like this on butterfly for a few years, and a canned album, before cherrywine came out.
also http://www.hieroglyphics.com/cgi-bin/st ... em&idx=199 --encore, a newer hieroglyphics artist, has mecca as a special guest on a song.

for doodlebug, look up cee knowledge on artistdirect, or craig irving, his real name. he had a project called the cosmic funk arkestra going a few years ago

http://www.digableplanets.net has a blurb on each.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Greenwood The Sock Monkey »

trainwreck2 wrote:I think Spoon is doing new stuff and tehyll be on Austin City Limits soon
Just this past weekend, I caught the last part of Spoon on ACL. I think it was a split episode with Spoon for the first half and Ben Kweller for the second half.

GTSM

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by nobodygirl »

Update:

Hot Hot Heat To Release New Album In April

YAAAAAY.
You know, it occured to me that to get answers to all these questions I could have gone to Google, but Google doesn't particularly care when I bitch. It's much more fun this way.

And who else is looking forward to the new Bright Eyes album (ducks)(runs)?