Blogger given his marching orders

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Batchy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Blogger given his marching orders

Postby Batchy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:37 am

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:59 am

the link you gave isn't complete;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/weblog ... 66,00.html

ridiculous indeed. hmmmm, also, this news seems to justify my paranoia. my weblog is 'friends only', which in my case means no colleages, and certainly no bosses!

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Blogger given his marching orders

Postby worpswede » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:06 pm

Batchy wrote:Frankly, this is ridiculous.

Batch, I'm sorry but, we're going to have to let you go...

Batchy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Batchy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:11 pm

He he!

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:16 pm

I attended an orientation seminar at work where one of the directors instructed young new hires to "conduct themselves professionally" on and off the job because they represent the company. This from a HUGE company that prides itself on "life/work balance". So long as the work part is heavier than the life part and that life meets corporate standards, I guess.

I recall that essay posted here a while back about being "lazy", thinking for oneself, and identity (among other themes)

While folk have to be careful about their web presence, I also think if someone is going to bother searching down someone, best be careful -- Pandora's Box and all.

Batchy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Batchy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:48 pm

[quote="miss carol"]I attended an orientation seminar at work where one of the directors instructed young new hires to "conduct themselves professionally" on and off the job because they represent the company. This from a HUGE company that prides itself on "life/work balance". So long as the work part is heavier than the life part and that life meets corporate standards, I guess.
quote]

I just hate all of that bullshit you get when you start any new job. I've had a few of those orientation seminars in my "career" so far and it makes me cringe everytime the Training Instructor starts up the usual old kak. Especially in sales based jobs. Man! All of the guff about the wonderous product you're selling and the big fake shiny pearly smiles as all are encouraged to develop big fake shiny pearly smiles/personalities/enthusiasm for XXX Corp!

It's brainwashing to a certain extent. A friend of mine, in her college days, had a job trying to sell some rubbish on the street to the passers by. Every morning the different sales teams would meet up to discuss the previous day and also get together for a little motivational talk. Whoever had sold the most the previous day got to ring this big bell up at the top of the conference room or wherever. A fucking bell? Ding bleedin' dong to that! She said that some of the more seasoned people employed actually gave a shit about ringing it. If that's not brainwashing then i don't know what is! Campology? Codology more like!

Herb Tarlek
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Herb Tarlek » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:29 pm

Batchy wrote:A friend of mine, in her college days, had a job trying to sell some rubbish on the street to the passers by. Every morning the different sales teams would meet up to discuss the previous day and also get together for a little motivational talk. Whoever had sold the most the previous day got to ring this big bell up at the top of the conference room or wherever. A fucking bell? Ding bleedin' dong to that! She said that some of the more seasoned people employed actually gave a shit about ringing it. If that's not brainwashing then i don't know what is! Campology? Codology more like!

I have a similar story.....a friend of mine back in university had a job as a door to door vacuum cleaner salesman and had to endure a similar pep-rally type meeting before starting work each day. He said they sang songs and chanted stuff to get "psyched" to go out and sell, sell, sell. I can't imagine grown adults sitting around a table singing songs about vacuum cleaners and getting all pumped up. I think if that was a condition of my employment my first day of work would be my last. Yikes!!

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:45 pm

my favorite: "every no is closer to a yes!"

every no is closer to a FUCK OFF, jerkface. i hated telemarketing.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:11 pm

Herb Tarlek wrote:
I have a similar story.....a friend of mine back in university had a job as a door to door vacuum cleaner salesman and had to endure a similar pep-rally type meeting before starting work each day. He said they sang songs and chanted stuff to get "psyched" to go out and sell, sell, sell. I can't imagine grown adults sitting around a table singing songs about vacuum cleaners and getting all pumped up. I think if that was a condition of my employment my first day of work would be my last. Yikes!!

There's a creepy link to motivational sales techiques and Christian evangelism. Subsitute 'vacumn cleaners' for 'souls' (and vice-versa) and the pitch is the same. Which is why I hate salespeople and evangelicals...

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:22 am

another weird thing from the news, it seems lawyers don't care for lawyer jokes so theyll get ya arrested for telling em now...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/01/12/lawye ... index.html

Return to “Rants and Raves”