Big Release in '05

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Big Release in '05

Postby Tom4 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:48 pm

This year seems destined to be a great year for music. After a pretty bland '04, we should be in store for a bounceback year. This is what I'm looking forward to, what about you?

I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning - Bright Eyes (1/25)
I know, I know. But Lifted is defintely a good album, and the two singles for this are great.

Some Cities - Doves (2/21)
Follow-up to an amazing album with Last Broadcast, hope they can pull off a worthy followup.

Windsurfing Nation - Broken Social Scene (Spring)
Anyone who talked to me about music in '03 had to deal with my rambling and raving and unabashed love for You Forgot it in People. This album is supposed to be all breezy songs (hence the title) along the lines of "Looks Just Like the Sun". I can't wait.

Elevator - Hot Hot Heat (4/5)
The Killers got all the acclaim, but Hot Hot Heat prepped the world for the emergence of shaky-voiced power-punk-pop with a dance feel. Check out www.hothotheat.com for a preview of one of the new songs (but not the single) "Island of an Honest Man". You won't regret it.

Picaresque - The Decemberists (3/22)
I saw them in October, they played a new song and it sounded typically great. Colin Meloy is one of the better songwriters we have.

Surrounded by Silence - Prefuse 73 (3/22)
Guest spots by GZA, RZA, Ghostface, Madlib, The Books, Four Tet, Broadcast, TV on the Radio, Blonde Redhead, Masta Killah, and Aesop Rock, among others. I didn't think he could top the epic One Word Extinguisher, but I could be wrong.

At War With the Mystics - The Flaming Lips (???)
Enough said.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:00 pm

I saw Bright Eyes on Austin City Limits last Saturday night, it was pretty good. I might have to grudgingly give him another chance with the new album.

And I hear the Wrens are making a new album this year. Don't know any details though.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:02 pm

Good list. I'm totally excited. Seriously.
I might add that Judas Fucking Priest will also be ramming down a new album with Rob in '05.
And I hear that a new Guns & Roses album is on it's way soon.*

*just kidding

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Re: Big Release in '05

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:16 pm

Tom4 wrote:This year seems destined to be a great year for music. After a pretty bland '04, we should be in store for a bounceback year. This is what I'm looking forward to, what about you?

I agree, 2004 did seem a little more lacklustre than 2003. Hopefully 2005 turns it around.

I too await with great anxiety the new Doves and Hot Hot Heat recordings. Also looking for new records from:

Soundtrack Of Our Lives - Origins Phase 1
Ben Folds - will he compile a record from his recent EPs?
The Open - self-titled
Kraftwerk - (reissues of Autobahn, Trans-Europe Express, etc.)
Spoon - ?
Franz Ferdinand - the rumoured follow-up album?
Fountains of Wayne - rumoured b-sides collection
Radiohead - will something be out before summer festival season?

Supposedly some of these are already out, but damned if I can find them in North American stores, brick & mortar or otherwise. I may break down and go iPod yet.

GTSM.

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:22 pm

Trail o' Dead's coming out with a new one, but after hearing the single/ep they put out a couple months ago I stopped being excited about it. Then I saw them live and got excited again.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:53 pm

Mercury Rev "Deserter's Songs"

Boom Bip "Blue Eyed In The Red Room"

Dead Meadow "Feathers"

I've heard cuts from all of them and they all should blow minds...

beginthebegin
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby beginthebegin » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:17 pm

My nipples are hard for a new Built To Spill record. I don't know anything about it other than it's coming, but that alone is enough for me to get a little turgid.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:23 pm

LionIndex wrote:Trail o' Dead's coming out with a new one, but after hearing the single/ep they put out a couple months ago I stopped being excited about it. Then I saw them live and got excited again.

I totally forgot Trail of Dead!!! Ahh! Yeah, I've heard three of their new songs on their website, and they sound amazing. About 1,000 times more advanced then Source Tags and Codes

Herb Tarlek
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Herb Tarlek » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:32 pm

beginthebegin wrote:My nipples are hard for a new Built To Spill record. I don't know anything about it other than it's coming, but that alone is enough for me to get a little turgid.

Eeewwwwwww!!!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:33 pm

Riviera - At the End of the American Century... (Glorious Noise Records) - April 5, 2005.

PS - Don't you hate it when label people spam msg boards?

Return to “Rants and Raves”