WHFS Goes Spanish

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Baltimucho
GLONO Board Pimp

WHFS Goes Spanish

Postby Baltimucho » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:29 pm

Apologies to the vast majority of you not familiar with DC/Baltimore radio.

Just saw that WHFS 99.1 in the Baltimore/Washington area has made a format jump from being the "True Alternative" to being a Spanish-language station. The change was supposed to have occurred at noon today (called my wife and she confirmed it, letting me hear the salsa music over the phone).

Assuming this is not some gimmick (a la the fake Howard Stern replacement show a few months back), this is pretty huge for oldsters like me who remember the day when HFS really was the "true alternative." Recently it has been no more than a cookie-cutter Infinity station playing Limp Bizkit, Yellowcard, etc., not unlike two or three other stations in the area. Music-wise I can't say that I'm sad to see it go, but it also carried a funny talk morning show and Loveline in the evenings...

But back in the day? The station was independently owned and playlist-free.

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Re: WHFS Goes Spanish

Postby Johnny Loftus » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:53 pm

Baltimucho wrote:
Just saw that WHFS 99.1 in the Baltimore/Washington area has made a format jump from being the "True Alternative" to being a Spanish-language station. The change was supposed to have occurred at noon today (called my wife and she confirmed it, letting me hear the salsa music over the phone).

Yeah, but that was alternative salsa music, hombre.

JTL

(In all seriousness, it's too bad the station made the switch. The same thing has happened all over the country, of course, as corporations buy up dial space. As tired as WXRT in Chicago can be (and it can be very, very tired), it's still a major market anomaly in both playlist and DJ duration/involvement.)

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:07 pm

Johnny Loftus wrote:
Yeah, but that was alternative salsa music, hombre.

JTL

(In all seriousness, it's too bad the station made the switch. The same thing has happened all over the country, of course, as corporations buy up dial space. As tired as WXRT in Chicago can be (and it can be very, very tired), it's still a major market anomaly in both playlist and DJ duration/involvement.)

It's where I go when I'm jonesin' for Talking Heads, which is never.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:21 pm

D. Phillips wrote:
It's where I go when I'm jonesin' for Talking Heads, which is never.

Never is too soon if you're discussing The Bodeans, Richard Thompson, or Poi Dog Pondering, one of which has a 93.9% chance of following the Talking Heads.

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Postby Johnny Loftus » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:30 pm

Don't forget "Tempted" by Squeeze. by law, XRT must play that song every single day. It's usually followed by Jesus Jones or Del Amitri.

Still taking any of that shit over Papa Roach and Puddle of Mudd,
JTL

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:48 pm

quasarwutwut wrote:Never is too soon if you're discussing ... Richard Thompson ... one of which has a 93.9% chance of following the Talking Heads.

Whoa whoa whoa, my friend, what beef do you have with Richard Thompson? Granted, the man has better and worse releases, but still a world class act. I think you meant to say "Tom Petty" or "Bonnie Raitt" instead of RT, when discussing WXRT. And I used to be a diehard fan of WXRT... pre-GE buyout, that is. Now they're lifeless, and an embarrassment to their legacy.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:06 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Whoa whoa whoa, my friend, what beef do you have with Richard Thompson? Granted, the man has better and worse releases, but still a world class act. I think you meant to say "Tom Petty" or "Bonnie Raitt" instead of RT, when discussing WXRT. And I used to be a diehard fan of WXRT... pre-GE buyout, that is. Now they're lifeless, and an embarrassment to their legacy.

No, no, no beef with Mr. Thompson, and I apologize for comparing him to Poi Dog, as no one deserves that. No, I like him just fine, I just don't like him 3 times a day. For that same reason I never need to hear Peter Frampton again. I've got it. Note for note. It's in my brain, and no matter how much everclear I try to wipe the pain away with, I just can't seem to get clean.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:21 am

is poi really that bad? i remember liking them back in the day.

Josh B.
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Josh B. » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:01 am

My only beef with WXRT is their strange need to play the new single, however banal, from established over the hill acts again and again for no reason. They do this with Richard Thompson, play something off of Shoot Out the Lights or better yet, Fairport Convention, and others. I think I was bitching to Derek a while back about how XRT was playing the hell out of the new Steve Winwood single last summer. The song wasn't bad necessarily, just not that good. But every time I got into the car, no tape or CD player mind you, it was on and it just seemed as if they were pandering to the artist and the institution rather than putting their all behind it. Were there really that many requests for the new Steve Winwood? Did the air staff really pick that as the break away hit of the summer? I care about as much about the new Steve Winwood single as I do the new Richard Marx albums my mother always tells me about, "But Josh, you would really like it." Out side of love line in the evenings, XRT is still the best place for decent radio in Chicago, but someone over there is pulling some strings on a programing levell.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:24 pm

Man, I remember WHFS from my east coast days - they were pretty damn good. Shame they went salsa - it was the only radio station you could listen to in the D.C./Baltimore area. The Weasel rocked!

Return to “Rants and Raves”