New =w= Album....

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

New =w= Album....

Postby Tom4 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:43 am

...Coming in May! Finally.

First single will be called "Beverly Hills".

Remember after the release of Maladroit, when the band said they were going to put out an album a year? Ha! I'd like to hear the Rick Rubin sessions that got scratched, I'm excited to see what they've got this time.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:59 am

I'm interested. This (for me) will be the "make it or break it" Weezer album. They either make something really good and exciting, or I stop caring about what they do.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:36 am

Agreed. I'm still hoping they unleash something huge on us. It's a shame that I'm even in this position with Weezer, because 4 or 5 years ago they were the defining band of my youth and I'm sure millions of others. I'll always remember the day I first heard Pinkerton.

In the meantime, I'm still holding out hope that their recent reconciliation and the subsequent bombing of his solo album will lead to a Matt Sharp/Weezer reunion. Get rid of that Shriner asshole.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:28 pm

Weezer is in a tough position. You longtime fans are down on them (I came to the =w= late in life, so I don't have such high expectations), the record company expects a hit - the pressure's on! I hope they can deliver...

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:19 pm

The thing is, Pinkerton was an anomally. Most of their output has just been damn catchy arena rock. They're champs at it, the modern day Cheap Trick maybe?

I'm sure the new album will have some addictively catchy tunes but I've never expected another Pinkerton.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:12 pm

That's a healthy perspective, Prop. If you take the best songs off their last two albums, there's still a bunch of good stuff. Nothing earth-shaking, but still...

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:16 pm

That's true Prop, but then again, The Blue Album was catchy, arena-ready rock as well, and that album still kicks the shit out of almost anything. I'm not saying their next album has to be a dark masterpiece, but something a little more then "American Gigolo" and "Dope Nose" would be satisfactory.

For the record, I like the Green Album a lot, a little on the short side, but it's got some great songs on it.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:26 pm

Tom4 wrote:For the record, I like the Green Album a lot, a little on the short side, but it's got some great songs on it.

Ever read John Darnielle's piece on how "Hash Pipe" should replace "America the Beautiful" at baseball games?

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:14 pm

Tom4 wrote:For the record, I like the Green Album a lot, a little on the short side, but it's got some great songs on it.

Definitely, I've actually gotten tired of people knocking it. It has been extremely overplayed, but you can't deny the bittersweet, um....bittersweetness of "Island in the Sun." That really sounds almost like Pinkerton quality material. I mean, not counting the Olsen Twins version. I can't believe I even brought that up. Ugh, I feel dirty.

So I'll probably give them another chance, like I always do, and just feel embittered again if it doesn't live up to my expectations.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:48 pm

Stop expecting them to blow your mind then! Expect fun rock songs and I'm sure you'll get them.

I felt bad for the guy after the green album came out and he just threw his hands up and basically said to the old fans "tell me what you want then!" I don't think any other band has taken this kind of abuse from the supposed "true fans".

I still love y'all though...

Return to “Rants and Raves”