Need a Kinks compilation recommendation...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Need a Kinks compilation recommendation...

Postby Jake » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:48 pm

Here's what I want: a good one- or two-disc collection of classic Kinks songs. It's got to have been remastered no earlier than 2001. And it's got to have "Til the End of the Day" on it. Audio fidelity is an absolute must, esp on the 60s stuff (yes, even if they tore holes in their amps -- I want to hear exactly what it sounded like in that room with the torn amps).

Anyone?

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:01 pm

Kink Kronikles is such a great compilation. Sadly, it hasn't been remastered yet. You can probably find a vinyl copy that would sound a lot better than the cd that's currently available. Hopefully, they'll just reissue it soon.

Coopstar
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Coopstar » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:13 pm

Yeah The Kink Kronikles is your best bet. I do know that Sanctuary UK has remastered some of their older stuff and added bonus tracks. Its interesting you should bring this up - I was listening to Face To Face this morning. Strange.

johnhl
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby johnhl » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:20 pm

Good luck Jake! I don't think a good (remastered) compilation exists. <i>Kronikles</i> has a lot of great songs, but it doesn't include "Til the End of the Day" or anything else from before <i>Face to Face</i>, I think.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Re: Need a Kinks compilation recommendation...

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:45 pm

Jake wrote:Here's what I want: a good one- or two-disc collection of classic Kinks songs. It's got to have been remastered no earlier than 2001. And it's got to have "Til the End of the Day" on it. Audio fidelity is an absolute must, esp on the 60s stuff (yes, even if they tore holes in their amps -- I want to hear exactly what it sounded like in that room with the torn amps).

Anyone?

That HP photo commercial got to you, didn't it?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: Need a Kinks compilation recommendation...

Postby Jake » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:01 pm

D. Phillips wrote:That HP photo commercial got to you, didn't it?

Haven't seen it. What song do they use?

What reminded me of this was I was thinking of Weezer's "Hash Pipe" and what a bad-ass song that is, and how much I love listening to bad-ass music like the Libertines and the Hives whenever I'm driving into my hometown (G-Rap, MI, represent!). So I was thinking of a great mix to listen to in the Mini for when I'm driving up 196 and you can see all three buildings on the Grand Rapids skyline. Songs to go on this mix are required to be short, punchy, snotty songs. Like the Who's "I Can't Explain." They've got to fit the "Mini Cooper aesthetic" so they're predominantly English and either from the mid-60s or heavily influenced by mid-60s British pop. And, well, I don't quite know why "Hash Pipe" fits on there but it does...

So anyway, I need a good Kinks compilation.

What label were they on and why haven't they been properly remastered yet?

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:51 pm

"Picture Book" is the one the commercial but, wait a minute, are you calling the Libertines bad-asses?

Weren't you the one that claimed there's no British rock band that has tough vocals?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:04 pm

Kinks were on Pye in the UK, but a bunch of labels in America. I'm imagining that the reason a reissue camapaign hasn't been forthcoming is the fact that there could be legal hassles stemming from multiple US license deals.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:22 pm

Proptronics wrote:"Weren't you the one that claimed there's no British rock band that has tough vocals?

Yes, I said English specifically. But the Libertines are definitely an exception. If more of those pussies sounded like Joe Strummer, I wouldn't have any problems with them, ha ha. As much as I loved the Stone Roses, I think Ian Brown had a definite, negative impact on britpop vocal trends...

johnhl
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby johnhl » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:35 pm

I don't own it, but this one claims to be a remaster and sure looks good. I'd order it just to have that early stuff, but I just blew the last of my music $$ (for a while anyway) on the 3 disc Village Green set.

And, I'd be willing to bet all those multiple U.S. labels are what's holding things up.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005V4WI//gloriousnoise-20/ref%3Dnosim

Return to “Rants and Raves”