new Bright Eyes albulums

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

new Bright Eyes albulums

Postby explosionsinthesky » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:28 pm

I know that you either love or hate Conor, but I got the new albums today and....uhhh...they are pretty damn good. I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm a fan of BE so I knew I would like them, but usually it takes me a while to get into all the songs. I liked these albums right away though. Overall I like I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning the best. It has some of the best stuff I've heard Conor do. Digital Ash... is kind of weird at times, but it is quite good also. These are completley different from one another(though I think we all knew that), so you get a good dose of the different sides of Conor Oberst. I would give a more in detail synopsis, but I've really only listened to them once all the way through. I just wanted to say I was really and suprisingly impressed on my initial listens. Who knows though, in a week I might want to throw them both out the window.

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby anothermonkey » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:40 pm

I had his first album after it came out in the late 90's, but really haven't had any interest in listening to him since. He's probably gotten better since then, but I got a little tired of the extreme drama that comes through in his music. I really liked the stuff he did with Desaparecidos...lots of energy. Honestly, I think he's very good but a bit overrated. The press acted like it was the second coming of Jesus when he first came out.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:39 am

Where'd you get a copy? Is it on the web?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:46 am

I think I've recently been won over to Bright Eyes. Seeing him do "Waste of Paint" on Austin City Limits, Jolie pointed out that this was something I totally would've loved when I was a teenager. And she's right. That sense of earnestness -- so easy for grownups to dismiss -- usually gets replaced with cynicism/irony sometime during the college years, but Oberst has somehow managed retain it. And that's a unique blessing.

So I guess I have finally forgiven him for being so young and pretty and talented. And actually listened to an album.

Batchy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Batchy » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:54 am

Have to say EITS, on a totally unrelated note, that the typo in the topic title "Albulum" sounds great. Just say the word out loud! Would make a great band name, album title or song title. Ah .... the evolution of language! (Or maybe i'm missing out on an "in" joke!)

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:55 pm

I'll have to listen to it before I buy it. His stuff is either fucking phenomenal or just painful to listen to. Lifted was worth the money, but there was still a lot of stuff on it I can't listen to. I'll have to see if this new one is worth my hard-earned money.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:59 pm

Batchy wrote:Have to say EITS, on a totally unrelated note, that the typo in the topic title "Albulum" sounds great. Just say the word out loud! Would make a great band name, album title or song title. Ah .... the evolution of language! (Or maybe i'm missing out on an "in" joke!)

I'm probably missing the in-joke as well, but Glen Phillips (formerly of Toad The Wet Sprocket) released a solo album called Abulum. Whatever...

explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby explosionsinthesky » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:38 pm

Tom4 wrote:Where'd you get a copy? Is it on the web?

I pre-ordered from Saddle Creek and they shipped on the 11th

Batchy wrote:Have to say EITS, on a totally unrelated note, that the typo in the topic title "Albulum" sounds great. Just say the word out loud!

I did write that on purpose...I don't remember where I heard it originally, but I like to pull it out every once and a while so it's not really a inside joke you are missing out on

Anyways, the point of this was to tell people to at least check the new stuff out. On a side note, Conor is doing nothing to break himself away from being called a "Bob Dylan" like troubador by having Emylou Harris acompany his vocals on like half of I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning....

Return to “Rants and Raves”