In Honor of Pazz & Jop...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

In Honor of Pazz & Jop...

Postby booker » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:29 pm

...we all need to post our Best of 2004 album lists.

Mine is embarrasing, only because I had little time or money this year to buy albums. As a result, I only bought/listened to stuff that I knew I'd like - alt-country, folk-rock, straightforward rock - and didn't experiment with Kanye, Arcade Fire, obscure rock and so on.

So here it goes:

1. Rilo Kiley—”More Adventurous”
The best singer/songwriter album - by a band, nonetheless - since Lucinda became an alt-country household name.

2. Brian Wilson—”SMiLE”
It was supposed to be No. 3 on the list, then I realized I listened to it more often than the current No. 3. Hence, its spot. Possibly the best argument, ever, for the endless power of the human spirit, and, I know it's a stretch, even the existence of God, for that matter.

3. Todd Snider—”East Nashville Skyline”
Funnier than his mentor and underwriter.

4. Joanna Newsom—”The Milk-Eyed Mender”
Once the greatest novelty of all time, now just great.

5. Loretta Lynn—”Van Lear Rose”
It's not so much that Jack's her love-slave, but rather her bastard son.

6. Ryan Adams—”Love is Hell”
Glad the record company put it on one CD. More interesting back story than Wilco's adventure. Better album, too. Underrated.

7. Tift Merritt—”Tambourine”
People don't like her because she's prettier than Dusty.

8. U2—”How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb”
The most imperfect album on this list.

9. Ray LaMontagne—”Trouble”
" Everybody trying to reach out to each other / But they don't know where to begin." In dark times, a shameless romantic is not such a bad thing.

10. Wilco—”A Ghost is Born”
Docked a notch for giving me my greatest use of the track-skip button. Still, Tweedy's got the voice, the melodic sense, even the lyrics - and, surprise, surprise, the guitar chops.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:07 pm

mine isn't much better but here goes:

1. abra moore - everything changed
2. rufus wainwright - want two
3. juliana hatfield - in exile deo
4. phish - undermined (don't really like them. but this one was good)
5. the cure - the cure
6. r.e.m. - around the sun
7. patty griffin - impossible dreams
8. elliot smith - from a basement on a hill
9. sonic youth - sonic nurse
10. loretta lynn - van leer rose

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:36 pm

You can see my old list in the Top Shelf article, but that didn't include a lot of albums from '04 I bought after. Here's a revised Top 10.

10. Thunder Lightning Strike, The Go! Team
9. Dj Kicks, Erlend Oye
8. Desperate Youth Bloodthirsty Babes, TV On the Radio
7. Bows + Arrows, The Walkmen
6. Satanic Panic in the Attic, Of Montreal
5. Ta Det Lugnt, Dungen
4. Our Endless Numbered Days, Iron & Wine
3. A Grand Don't Come For Free, The Streets
2. Madvillainy, Madvillain
1. Funeral, The Arcade Fire

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:42 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I've heard almost all of the biggies and nothing will be on my "best of" list this year. I mean, these are good, deserving bands, but....I did like and admire Ghost is Born quite a bit at first but don't find myself going back to it a lot. I liked a lot of songs from this stuff, some great bands doing great work, but fuck it, most of those records had lots of lame-o, too. You're gonna listen to Blueberry Boat and not feel slightly grated-upon? You didn't roll your eyes once or twice? Arcade Fire doesn't make you think a little too much about the bands it sounds like? That Loretta Lynn's still grabbing you now that the novelty's worn off? I'm not dissing, exactly, these artists are the real deal, but hey. Shit, Green Day has some killer songs on theirs, but eventually the lyrics catch up to you.

Smile is the exception, but I have trouble considering that "this year."

Still, I'm a fickle bastard who in a few months will probably be like "The Arcade Fire is genius!" Wouldn't put it past me.

Ah, shit. Dungen was cool. See? It's already happening.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:44 pm

If I could expand mine to a top 12 including 2 things I bought after the lists were published on here, "This Island" (Le Tigre) would definitely be on there, as would "A Grand Don't Come For Free." And I actually might
renege on including "More Adventurous."

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:12 pm

2004? Oh yeah, I remember that year. Here's my all-too-safe picks off the top of my head:

1. Arcade Fire- Funeral- see yesterdays thread, but....damn!

2. Morrissey- You Are the Quarry- quite possibly his best album in years

3. Interpol- Antics- All you haters can just shut it.

4. Skinny Puppy- The Greater Wrong of the Right- another awesome reunion album.

5. Ted Leo/ Rx- Shake the Sheets-it really does rock

6. Kanye West- The College Dropout- Helps me think that there still is hope for mainstream rap

7. A.C. Newman- The Slow Wonder- I think I wore the CD out over the summer.

8. The Walkmen- Bows and Arrows- It's just one beautiful melody after another.

9. Franz Ferdinand- I held out for most of the year thinking they were just another hype band, but now I love it like Squidward loves a Crabby Patty.

10. Modest Mouse- Good News For People Who Love Bad News- sure it's more radio-friendly, and pristine than some of their earlier stuff, but while not their best album, it's still really strong, and deserves a place on the list.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:25 pm

steve-o wrote:
5. Ted Leo/ Rx- Shake the Sheets-it really does rock

6. Kanye West- The College Dropout- Helps me think that there still is hope for mainstream rap

9. Franz Ferdinand- I held out for most of the year thinking they were just another hype band, but now I love it like Squidward loves a Crabby Patty.

[retardedness]
Steve-o, darlin': Yes, yes & yes. Your mix CD, along with another one I received recently (even though the Ted Leo song on yours was from Hearts of Oak) convinced me to stop by the record store tonight and finally pick Shake The Sheets up because it just sounds so much better when it's not coming from the crappy speakers on my laptop. (I believe I actually informed you of that already.) And Ted Leo has no insurance! How could I NOT legitimately, legally buy that?...
Y'all know my love for Kanye, and I have made my peace with Jamie Foxx's bit on the CD just because I giggle haplessly every time he says "and she gotta drink, like, 9200 glasses of water..."
And while I am not familiar with anything by Franz Ferdinand except "Take Me Out" and now "Michael" (because of your CD!), "Michael" is perhaps the gayest song in the entire world and is awesome, and especially awesome because of its prominence right now. And the gay.
[/retardedness.]

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:45 pm

Ah, shit, I forgot AC Newman. That was stellar.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:07 pm

Barabajagal wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and say I've heard almost all of the biggies and nothing will be on my "best of" list this year. I mean, these are good, deserving bands, but....I did like and admire Ghost is Born quite a bit at first but don't find myself going back to it a lot. I liked a lot of songs from this stuff, some great bands doing great work, but fuck it, most of those records had lots of lame-o, too. You're gonna listen to Blueberry Boat and not feel slightly grated-upon? You didn't roll your eyes once or twice? Arcade Fire doesn't make you think a little too much about the bands it sounds like? That Loretta Lynn's still grabbing you now that the novelty's worn off? I'm not dissing, exactly, these artists are the real deal, but hey. Shit, Green Day has some killer songs on theirs, but eventually the lyrics catch up to you.

Smile is the exception, but I have trouble considering that "this year."

Still, I'm a fickle bastard who in a few months will probably be like "The Arcade Fire is genius!" Wouldn't put it past me.

Ah, shit. Dungen was cool. See? It's already happening.

i agree with you barbara though. a lot of these bands are overhyped for what amounts to really nothing in the end. i sold my copy of a ghost is born back. i have r.e.m. on my list as i like it. i really do. but i don't really listen to it. that's hard for me to say but it's true. i tried to pick out music on my list that i consistiently listened to. the top shaped most of my summer and most of november.

i just didn't find anything though this year that i listened to a whole whole lot that wasn't old. so i definitely dig what you're saying barbara. too much music is overhyped. i never got into modest mouse that much either. these lists seem to get harder to do as every year passes. maybe i'm getting too old. or maybe music just sucks more. yeah. music sucks more. i guess

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:09 pm

grounded5am wrote:3. juliana hatfield - in exile deo

I heard one of the cuts from this album on WXRT. Would you recommend it?

Also, I finally picked up Arcade Fire today. It's not as instantly accessible as I thought it would be, but damn, there's some clever stuff on here. It's too early to tell, but I might have to bump something off my list to make room. It reminds me of if someone took out all the elements of Talking Heads that bother me and kept all the good elements in.

I'm glad I started this thread. Lists rule.

Return to “Rants and Raves”