Nothing Can Stop Him

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Nothing Can Stop Him

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:18 am

Can anything stop Bono? Is there anything he won't put his mauws on? Is there any cause he will not clutch in his mealy grip?

What do you think a day in the life of this guy is like? He must have a massive entourage of handlers to keep track of all this shit.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/200 ... line_x.htm

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:50 am

The jeans, for example, have Rainer Maria Rilke's poems embroidered inside their pockets.

It is too early for me to react any other way but this, and yet I feel it must be said:

SHUT THE FUCK UP, BONO AND BONO'S WIFE.

explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby explosionsinthesky » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:53 pm

"I'm sick of Bono — and I am Bono!"

He hasn't lost touch completely

Also, was I reading that correct when it said there would be Rilke's poetry inside the pockets? Does that make sense?

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:57 pm

I would half expect to put my hand in my pocket and shake hands with Bono himself!

Batchy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Batchy » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:09 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:I would half expect to put my hand in my pocket and shake hands with Bono himself!

My God! Is that a new metaphor for something else? Depends on whether you think Bono is a dick or not ;-)

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby thousandfold » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:20 pm

Oh, come on, you guys. His heart's really in the right place on this. This is somebody who has the means making an actual effort. Are we so cool and snarky that we can't even appreciate that anymore?

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:02 pm

Katy, I am going to say this in the nicest way possible, because I heart you and all: YOU. ARE. VERY. VERY. BIASED.
Even if it weren't Bono, how does an "actual effort" that involves the production of jeans that cost (and I am totally making this statistic up, so call me out if you feel like it) more than 75% of the rest of the people in those South American and African factories make in, like, THREE MONTHS going to help anything at all? How does fashion do <i>shit</i>? And just because Bono is employing them, does that absolutely guarantee that there are going to be fair labor practices? Is he personally paying their wages? It is super easy to spout that shit in a press release and in an article, but come on.
And I'm sorry, but Rilke has always been one of my favorite poets and the thought of bitches running around quoting him BECAUSE OF PANTS makes me very, very violent.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:06 pm

so i take it nobody you don't like this bono fellow.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:26 pm

I've got Elegies in my pants and I gotta dance.

I actually think the Bono fellow is quite cool. I don't care for his band's music generally, and in some specific cases will go out of my way to avoid it, but I think he seems to have a healthy sense of humor along with a good heart and a good head for doing useful stuff... So there.

Anyhow, this clothes thing seems mostly to be his wife's deal.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:38 pm

Katy wrote:Oh, come on, you guys. His heart's really in the right place on this. This is somebody who has the means making an actual effort. Are we so cool and snarky that we can't even appreciate that anymore?

Yes! We are too cool. FINALLY somebody "gets" it.

Return to “Rants and Raves”