I HAVE NO INTERNETS HELP ME.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

I HAVE NO INTERNETS HELP ME.

Postby nobodygirl » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:02 pm

Hi kids,
The unsecured wireless internets connection (note to Jake: Can't. Stop. Saying. Internets) that I was using on my home computer decided to kick it this weekend. This may or may not have something to do with the fact that I bittorrented an episode of "The L Word" and the People Who Controlled The Internets And Lived Under The Stairs were all "bitch is using HOW MUCH BANDWIDTH???" and shut it down. IT'S LIKE THEY CUT OFF MY ARM.
So now I have to pay for access for the first time in, like, a year, and I need advice. What are providers to be avoided/loved? I am looking particularly at the people who live in the Midwest area. Please keep in mind, also, that I have no land line in my apartment, as I am a modern girl and don't want one again, which probably is going to complicate things much further.

kthxbye.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:23 pm

only way to do it w/o a land line is via cable... here's a link for cable in yr area...
http://www.timewarnercable.com/Milwauke ... fault.html

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:09 pm

I started posting how "the internets" reminded me of the plurals-that-ain't in Chicago-speak; then I found this primer on the dialect which may or may not be of interest (Wisconsin and Michigan have their variants on this). When I was a kid I used to think everybody I knew sounded kind of dumb--and then I heard my own voice tape-recorded for the first time. Da horrorss! Da horrorss!

Couple things this primer misses:
"bout fifteen minnits" universal measurement of distance
The name of the city is never, ever to be pronounced Chi-CAH-go; always Chi-CAW-go
Sentences often end in prepositions: Where'd you leave that thing at? Over by there. Where? On that thing that the books are on.
Last edited by Barabajagal on Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: I HAVE NO INTERNETS HELP ME.

Postby Lep » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:34 pm

nobodygirl wrote:Can't. Stop. Saying. Internets

Me either. I guess everybody knows why, but in case somebody doesn't.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:51 pm

Oh! That actually ties in with my post rather handily. Bush is second only to Chicago's own Mayor Daley for the ingenious mangling of syntax and invention of vocabulary.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:01 am

Having tried several carriers, I'm most satified with RoadRunner Cable Modem. It is faster than DSL, and it doesn't need a landline. Chances are you have TimeWarner Cable in your area. That's my 2 cents.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:43 am

As an IT guy, your "internets" reminds me of the end-users at work who tell me things such as, "After I downloaded [some odious piece of malware] the internet was gone." Gosh, to think our worldwide network infrastructure could be so vulnerable. Or "Could you make my internet run faster?" Only if you'll share your faster internet with the rest of us!

Return to “Rants and Raves”